Author Topic: Good year for butternuts  (Read 7462 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Good year for butternuts
« on: October 03, 2009, 04:28:16 »
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/nonrancher/Butternutshanginround.jpg They weren't huge but better than last year when my one plant yielded  only 1 butternut. There are 6 more that haven't been harvested yet and probably won't harden off before frost.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Good year for butternuts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 09:32:37 »
Good crop.  I feel successful but I have only got seven but since I grew them outside I am very pleased with the result.  But is seven more than I produced last year.  Did manage four one year from plants from a supermarket bought fruit.  They were great because it was very long and the seeds were up one end.

If you edit the post and remove the img bit  it will recognise this as a link and clicking will reveal the picture.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:38:59 »
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/nonrancher/Butternutshanginround.jpg

I can't find the edit button on my initial post- I think I can't modify an initial post.  One other change- the av. wt was 2 lbs not 3 (too bad!) 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:49:41 by GrannieAnnie »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 12:04:26 »
I think you can only edit for a brief length of time and presume that since you are in a different time zone you had gone to bed.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 13:05:35 »
Wow Annie...........are the labels their name tags? Which one is George? ;D ;D

Great crop :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 15:43:19 »
Wow Annie...........are the labels their name tags? Which one is George? ;D ;D

Great crop :D
Those tags have the weight, how dry the stem was and also th inches of green stripes left on them when picked, and whether they were dipped in chlorox solution. There were varmints damaging some which meant some had to be picked earlier than norm, and I'm curious as to how well their storage will compare vrs the well cured ones. My own little  "science project"  ;D  total weight so far is 65 lbs of butternuts which I consider pure profit since the seeds were saved from a friend.  I smile every time I go in the basement which only another gardener would understand! :D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 17:39:00 »
Wow thats a good crop!

One of my plants did really well (the other did nowt). Five squashes, the largest is 6.5 pounds and 12" long. The windowsill is the only space in my flat to keep them!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 19:10:37 »
From 12 plants I have 3 small piddly things resembling BS that are still green on the plant.  Disastrous for my first year with BS.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 00:33:08 »
I'd recommend Festival. Massively earlier than eve the best of the BNS and as long as the plant has a squre meter to itself and a bucket of manure in  its planting hole mounded up a bit to live on then you should get 6-8 grapefruit sized acorn squash that will be pretty much ripe by the end of Augustr.....September was a bonus for them but it's the only reason I had a decent haul of butternuts.... Uchiki Kuri would be another good one, slightly black person fruit and fewer of them but the plants aren't too badly behaved. If you have the space and want bigger fruit then you could try Bon-Bon.

chrisc

From 12 plants I have 3 small piddly things resembling BS that are still green on the plant.  Disastrous for my first year with BS.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 02:07:59 »
Wow thats a good crop!

One of my plants did really well (the other did nowt). Five squashes, the largest is 6.5 pounds and 12" long. The windowsill is the only space in my flat to keep them!

6.5 lbs! That's huge. My largest was 5- something which grew beside some compost. The other plants had to hunt for what nutrients they could scavenge from poor soil. NEXt YEAR: compost in every hole.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 08:23:03 »
WOW!!  they look fantastic.  I've never grown any sort of squash or pumpkin but I may give it a go next year as I have more space.  Reading the comments do I take it a good dose of manure is needed.  I have several compost bins on the go, would planting on top of one of these next year be OK.  I would like to grow for taste, rather than size, so can anyone give me recommendations as to which would be best to grow.  Many thanks in anticipation.
                                                            Taurus

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 14:20:28 »
If they still have green stripes - does that mean they wont store well?
Thanks

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 18:47:13 »
For the mistype that the filter turned into "black person" please read "bigger" throughout.... I must stop posting when I'm so tired I can barely see :o

chrisc
really annoyed with myself

I'd recommend Festival. Massively earlier than eve the best of the BNS and as long as the plant has a squre meter to itself and a bucket of manure in  its planting hole mounded up a bit to live on then you should get 6-8 grapefruit sized acorn squash that will be pretty much ripe by the end of Augustr.....September was a bonus for them but it's the only reason I had a decent haul of butternuts.... Uchiki Kuri would be another good one, slightly black person fruit and fewer of them but the plants aren't too badly behaved. If you have the space and want bigger fruit then you could try Bon-Bon.

chrisc

small

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 19:40:32 »
"For the mistype that the filter turned into "black person" please read "bigger" throughout.... I must stop posting when I'm so tired I can barely see"
I spent ages wondering what that was about!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 19:41:40 »
Substitute the letter to the right of the 'b' on your keyboard.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 19:53:35 »
I was confused by that too!

That swear filter is hilarious, am tempted to cut'n'paste some gangsta rap lyrics in out of curiosity...

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 07:31:42 »
GrannieAnnie - what a great haul, I take it that will keep you in squash for the winter!

And Chris - that made me laugh out loud  ;D

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 08:34:15 »
I have had my BS in since I got them from Dig in (freebies)They are just starting to produce fruit now. They are in the greenhouse but I don't think they'll make it. :-[

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 10:50:23 »

And Chris - that made me laugh out loud  ;D

;D rofl

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal