Author Topic: When to move a camellia?  (Read 3092 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
When to move a camellia?
« on: October 02, 2009, 14:01:52 »
What would be the best time of year, I have a Fatsia Japonica to replace it with, but I don't want to waste it.

Somebody tell me it's this weekend.  ;D
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: When to move a camellia?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 21:20:02 »
Well, if its the difference between moving or losing, I would say any time is a good time. ;D

Bearing in mind it is a Spring flowering shrub, you could do it now, so that with protection it could get a bit established before the really cold weather sets in.  So yes, I'd go for this weekend.

valmarg

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 22:08:17 »
Camellia will move and relocate without problem through most of the year. Water well preferably the day before then dig up and move to new position. If bush is a bit top heavy I weigh them down with yorkstones. Do not allow to dry out afterwards.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 07:26:20 »
Thank you both.  :)

PS it's just a little 'un.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:11:23 »
In practice I have found that you can move most things whenever you like provided you prepare the destination site carefully in advance, minimise the shock by lifting a good root ball and as much soil as practicable with the plant and keeping it well watered, supported and protected from fierce sun or wind. Get it back in the ground ASAP. I sometimes prune both top and roots to give the plant less to support and to give it encouragement to produce new growth. Fatsias are huge btw.

PS I usually talk to them too!! :-[ ::)

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 17:41:16 »
I've got a long list of things to move and its getting longer.

BUT I don't want to do any of it until the rain comes. Its been 5 weeks since the last worthwhile drop.

I like the surrounding soil to be saturated before planting and lots of rain for a few weeks after. I find watering cans are hopeless when soaking the ground - too localised and too many trips.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 22:54:12 »

If it is small, and you haven't decided where to plant it, you could pot it up in ericaceous compost, and keep it until you decide where it's to go.

valmarg

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 20:48:04 »

If it is small, and you haven't decided where to plant it, you could pot it up in ericaceous compost, and keep it until you decide where it's to go.

valmarg

I'd do this, too 8)

PS I've been reading "when to move a camel" for most of today and I've been strongly resisting the impulse to reply "when there's enuff sh*t in that spot to dig in"until now, .........but, oh! the flesh is evva so weak (bit like the camel's bowels, really.... ::)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 13:59:04 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D @ Hyacinth.............Ive missed you  :-* (and everyone else too) :-*
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal