Author Topic: Strawberry Plants  (Read 1296 times)

Parsley

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a very friendly lion, called ....
Strawberry Plants
« on: October 17, 2004, 18:26:01 »
Aren't lottie folk lovely..... ;D   One of my lottie neighbours has kindly left a huge bag of strawberry plants, for me to find today.;D   Problem is, I have'nt got a permanent bed ready for them yet.  Will it be o.k if I bunged them into a temporary bed over winter, and transplant to a new home, next spring?
Never eat yellow snow.....

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re:Strawberry Plants
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 18:58:03 »
Are they mature plants or runners from this year?

If it's mature plants, I think they will be o.k. in a temporary bed but when you transplant again make sure you take a nice big clod of soil with the roots.

For runners it's pretty late anyway, even in a permanent bed and I doubt they will have much of a root system, transplanting them twice will not give them much chance to develop good roots. I wouldn't expect much fruit from them next spring. They'll be good for the following spring tho'.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 13:14:15 »
If they are runners, why not bung them in pots. I have all my one-year-old strawb plants in 4in pots. They cropped ok this year.

THen next year, when they've finished fruiting, you can put them in their permanent bed.
gone to pot :D

Parsley

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a very friendly lion, called ....
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 15:14:56 »
Thanks for your help ladies,

Did not take a good look at them yesterday as it was persistantly raining at the time.   I went and had a look today, and concluded that they are plants not runners, due to their huge root systems.   So planted them into their temporary digs until spring.   Finger crossed that I’ve got it right.  

Tina
Never eat yellow snow.....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal