Author Topic: Bubblewrap  (Read 2608 times)

graham

• Quarter Acre
    • Blipfoto
Bubblewrap
« on: October 17, 2004, 16:34:57 »
Hi all,  I've spent the day insulating the greenhouse with bubblewrap and it occurred to me, just as I was finishing the job, that there are two way to put the material on the glass - the smooth side to the glass or the bubbles . I went for the smooth side to the glass - for no reason other than that's how I started - but there's a wee bit of doubt creeping in that maybe the bubble to the glass might have been better.  Any thoughts?

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re:Bubblewrap
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 18:47:45 »
I think you are right Graham, bubbles to the glas might give it more dead air space = insulation.

I've spent the day taking all the windows out of the greenhouse against the winter time vandals. What a job but not as bad as collecting broken glass and picking glass splinters out of the whole allotment.

simhop

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 19:10:37 »
Why should we have to take windows out of a greenhouse to ensure usage next year. What is the world coming to? How much fun is it to chuck bricks through someones windows!

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 19:15:52 »
"snap" Graham, I've done the same job today,and i am glad it is finished.
I placed the bubble side onto the glass.
Anne

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 20:31:05 »
Now the next question is how to you wrap the bubble wrap.. do you start at the bottom of one side and go over the roof apex to the other,  or do you go from side to side.  Or  do you do each pane of glass individually...  :-X dont laugh I actually know somone who does. :-[
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

graham

• Quarter Acre
    • Blipfoto
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 00:34:20 »
Now I'm full of doubt - I'm working on the principle of the bubbles helping to trap the heat in the greenhouse, so insulating from the outside and I did every pane individually.  basically I don't know what I'm talking about - I just don't want to re-do the job. Doh!!!

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 09:13:57 »
I tried bubble wrap for the first time last year.I did a rush job and as a result spent the rest of the winter re-applying the darn stuff as it fell onto me when i went into the greenhouse.
This year fingers crossed.
A idea that came to me yesterday while fixing the bubble wrap,what about the makers of the small plastic greenhouses producing larger sizes that can be placed within our greenhouses.
I suppose it would be expensive and i am sure that there are probs.that i hav'nt considered.Any way back to the dreams.
Anne

graham

• Quarter Acre
    • Blipfoto
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 10:08:13 »
This morning I've had a look out and lo and behold the bubble wrap is still in place but more surprisingly there is no condensation on the rest of the glass - I've left the south facing side clear, so it's looks like were cooking! Regarding you greenhouse in a greenhouse idea - Bob Flowerdew uses this practice in one of his polytunnells. He has a smaller tunnel in the larger which allows him to grow exotics, bananas etc all the year round - so not so wacky after all.  

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 13:38:24 »
Ha! Just this morning I looked out the window and thought mmmmmmmmm I could put that baby greenhouse inside the big glass one ;)
Would it make much difference ???
Andy

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 14:11:15 »
Hi Andy.
If you do get round to putting your plastic greenhouse inside your glasshouse, please let us know how it works.
Anne

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 15:31:01 »
That's recommended by Bob Flowerdew if that helps at all

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 23:07:30 »
Now I know why all the places I tried were sold out of those little green things to attach bubblewrap! It was you lot! ;D
I always do bubble to glass and put the mini greenhouse inside the greenhouse and seems to work a treat for the tender ones. Though I do air them out a few times throughout to avoid the grey fluffies.  ::)
My worst mistake was putting the heater on the floor under the mini greehouse Doh! Black carbon plants anyone  ;D
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 21:07:51 »
sorry boys and girls i disagree with the smooth side to the glass

reason been the bubbles do insulate which ever way you put them but i find that the condensation and when that bit o water applied runs straight down the smooth side to the floor !!!
hence stopping falling out the bubbles on to me plants and raising that concern of desease !! i also have a fancey do that i have made a simple bracket out of aluminium that screwa to to the greenhouse fame and then affixed a cut down broom handle to the brackest (you know so as it spins freely) and then i tape me bubble wrap to the pole ! hence able to roll up the bubble wrap in a moments notice when not required (i put one either side of the top trust so there is just enough room to roll both up at the same time and on one tape an extra piece of bubble wrap to cover the gap at the top !! if i get round to it ill get some pics

carl

ps once rolled they can be removed neatly in summer if you want to be a right flash person then the nest shade roller could be instered !!! i aint that flash lol
another member of i forgot my password

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal