Author Topic: Got the Queensland Blues...  (Read 1055 times)

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
Got the Queensland Blues...
« on: September 29, 2009, 17:13:17 »
This year I grew the following squashes: Uchiki Kuri, Burgess Buttercup, Marina di Chioggia and Queensland Blue. All did pretty well, except for the Queensland Blue (one plant) which did not produce a single fruit. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is it just bad luck, or are they bad fruiters?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Got the Queensland Blues...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 17:36:11 »
Hi
I grew pretty much the same squashes as you (plus a few extras  ::) ) and yes I have some Queensland Blues, but only 2 from 2 plants. 1 is a decent size the other not as good. I haven't tried them yet. The Marina di Choggia was a monster of a plant but only had 1 pumpkin but that too is a monster!
Generally I've been disappointed by the number of fruit that the plants managed. I think next year I will have to try and make sure that all the fruits are actually pollinated.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 17:40:26 »
I got three off two plants but left them to their own devices too...  :-X

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 17:36:25 »
I was growing Kaboucha Squash. I got a lot of male flowers not many female and not much fruit and only one of a useable size.

Part of the problem is lack of rain and I have a long walk to water so they didn't get a lot.

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 19:12:21 »
My Queensland Blue where fair to good, decent size not quite as many fruits as I normally get but still plenty to store and sell on. Rolet / Gem squash were good as where the Turks Turban, Delcata produced a small crop, but Golden Hubbard plentiful as were the potimarron.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal