Author Topic: So glad I waited -  (Read 2939 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
So glad I waited -
« on: October 16, 2004, 19:38:27 »
 - they looked so good when washed & put on racks, but had I put them straight into sacks, I think that there might have been a mush imminent?

The markings (top right) are only skin deep, but they must be blight? Shame, because the haulms were only just touched by it and, after cutting them down, we waited the appropriate time before lifting - time enough for the spores to be washed down in the heavy rain??

A lesson somewhere? = Tim
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 19:39:27 by tim »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:So glad I waited -
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 22:58:14 »
From John Miller - 'Taken at the local elementary school it shows blighted cherry tomatoes that have grown out once the phenological conditions necessary for blight have ended- note the dead stems. Because blight can reproduce sexually here there is no such thing as resistant varieties, they have simply grown out of it. Not a good picture I'm afraid.'

From me, sorry to see that Tim.  How are the spuds once you have peeled them, partly useable??  I have just brought a big tub of bordeaux mix so I can be prepared for next year.  At least there is something I can do about the blight...not like the white rot!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 07:15:16 »
At present, they're great. As I say, it's only skin deep. But who knows!!

We had Bordeaux, but the earlies got caught because blight was so early this year &, when we started spraying the 2nds, the rain started & didn't stop!! So no point in more spray. = Tim

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 10:05:13 »
Tim - maybe you ought to try the Sarpo varieties - I bought some from Ryton's potato day - 3 varieties, one listed in T&M this year, and another 2. The one variety (grabs diary with plot plan) Sarpo Axona is still in green leaf - though there are a few holes in the leaves due to flea beetles. There is the odd hole in the tubers (have lifted the 2 other varieties - Mira (in T&M) and Tomina. Taste is good.

Maybe they'll be back at Ryton next January?
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 21:01:07 »
Thanks, MV - so many varieties - so much luck of the draw??

Never had blight before. Try harder next year. = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal