Author Topic: A sweet pea problem  (Read 8757 times)

aggie

• Half Acre
A sweet pea problem
« on: September 21, 2009, 22:57:40 »
I love sweet peas and grow them ever year, and every year they start off really well then the bottom leaves start to get a whitish film on them, and creeps up the plant, Why is this ? I never seem to have a really good healthy crop, they flower, but only OK, I don't get masses of flowers. I do pick the flowers often. Can anyone offer advise please? When can I plant seeds?

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
Re: A sweet pea problem
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 23:35:26 »
Powdery mildew?
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:09:18 »
I don't know, if it is is there any cure?

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:29:11 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:39:34 »
Mine suffered badly from mildew and also virus which the aphids spread and of course yourself when snipping tendrils and picking flowers.I do not like to spray all the time as you have to do to get rid of the aphids.However I did notice that the sweetpeas that I grew over the arches (not in a close row) about 3 to an arch that I never touched are still growin now and not a touch of virus or mildew. Next year I am growing naturally over the arches and letting them get on with things.Blow growing the show standard sweet peas. gettin too old for all that fiddling anyway. Too much time taken that could be spent on growing the veg. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

ellie2cats

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 01:20:12 »
I intend to plant my sweet pea seeds this weekend.  I shall set them in black poly-tubes and start them off in tn the cold greenhouse and then when they get to about 3 or 4 inches nip the tops out and transfer them to the cold frame.

I don't always get 100% success but the plants i do get are usually very sturdy and give plenty of blooms. I buy the seeds from a recognised sweet pea grower and that way I can choose the range of colours I prefer.  Wish I had a spare arch to grow them over but I do have a free standing trellis about 10feet long and I plant both sides usually with pretty good success.
Good luck. Ellie

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:29:18 »
I plant mine in mid October. But I just do mine 10 to a litre pot in a John Innes type compost and they go outside from the start. I like em to grow really hardy ;D
                             I want em saying

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:40:27 »
I plant mine in mid October. But I just do mine 10 to a litre pot in a John Innes type compost and they go outside from the start. I like em to grow really hardy ;D

For those who haven't seen this photo before, this is the result of all Shirl's hard work -

Shirl gave me this bunch when she visited our site a couple of months ago.  I have never seen sweet peas like them in my life! 

The stems were like tree trunks ( ok, I'm exaggerating slightly) and there were lots of flowers per stem.  She even knew the name of every variety in the bunch. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 09:25:35 »
I remember that photo - I reckon Shirl's our sweat pea Queen  8)

Thanks for the reminder to sow them in Oct - as I want to try this out to see if I get better results

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 20:26:29 »
What beautiful sweetpeas Shirl, what variety are they?

Would like to try to grow some like that, I've never had a great success with mine and always blamed my clay soil.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 09:01:28 »
Sinbad. They are Anniversary, Charlies angel,Norman Wisdom,Mrs Bernard Jones and Rosy Frills and not forgetting the peachy one which is Harlow Carr.
                             I want em saying

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 21:59:37 »
Very beautiful flowers, I can smell sweet peas!

I think they are more susceptible to mildew if they go dry. So I think lots of organic matter, and watering if necessary might help.

Last two allotments I've had have been dusty and dry and sweet peas go grey in no time. I've started growing everlasting sweet peas, they seem more drought tolerant.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 22:06:56 »
Thanks for that Shirl.

I gave up growing sweet peas and have never grown them from seed but looks like I might try one last time to grow Rosy Frills.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 09:09:43 »
Shirl when you say a J I type compost do you use J I seed compost?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 10:07:25 »
Yes its a soil based compost and it doesn't contain a lot of nutrients which allows the plants to grow short and strong instead of long and leggy. The plants will also be much hardier and need less watering than the peat based stuff.Added to that the pots wont blow off me outside windowsill cos they are heavier. What you will buy is a John Innes recipe compost but its the same. Get the staff to put it in your boot for you Jan cos its heavy. ;D
                             I want em saying

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 08:40:32 »
Hi Shirl,

I've always wanted to grow sweet peas and so this year will be my first attempt, do you soak your seeds first (as I would do normal peas)?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 09:14:17 »
I do save quite a bit of my own seed so to make sure that it is going to germinate I put them on a plate on wet kitchen roll until they chit. It usually takes a couple of days but make sure that the tissue is kept damp and as soon as you see the shoots get em in the pots
                             I want em saying

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 21:39:30 »
Thanks for all the advice. I shall start mine off this weekend. I'll do the kitchen roll bit,and let them chit.

Shirl your sweet peas are superb, I will go to the garden centre and try to buy some "Rosy Frill" if the garden centre have not got them where can i buy them?

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 22:08:59 »
I love sweet pea and have grown them for the last two years. Mine always start off really well with long flower stems and then after a time the flower stems get shorter, what am i doing wrong? :(

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 08:46:38 »
Thanks for all the advice. I shall start mine off this weekend. I'll do the kitchen roll bit,and let them chit.

Shirl your sweet peas are superb, I will go to the garden centre and try to buy some "Rosy Frill" if the garden centre have not got them where can i buy them?
I get mine from Unwins Aggie
                             I want em saying

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal