Author Topic: Feathers  (Read 6011 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Feathers
« on: October 16, 2004, 17:48:24 »
I had a load of feathers all around our bird table this morning...I think they're from one of the collard doves, they were white. The birds were very reluctant to feed from the table I put some seed on the ground and they took that.. Cat do you think? hard to tell unless I keep watch all night but it would have to take a leap from the fence and I would've thought the birds would see it. Its put up quite a fight..the bird. The feathers are everywhere.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re:Feathers
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 22:02:00 »
More than likely. you have had a visit from the local Sparrowhawk.  They are partial to Collar Doves.

::) ::)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 10:00:04 »
Thanks Carol, think I'll have to keep watch. ;D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 10:49:37 »
 ;DSaw what it was eventually. A cat was hiding in the bushes...a great big black and white thing. We've moved the table to the middle of the lawn..no place to hide there.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 13:01:29 »
We came home from our hols to be greeted by a pile of feathers in the kids garden.  No sign of a body.  Possibly a sparrowhawk, more likely the neighbours cat!  >:(

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 14:00:19 »
 ;Dthey seem to know when you aren't around as well. I saw it jump for a blue tit...frightened me, I dread to think what it did for the bird.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 14:13:09 »
Hi Val,

If the feathers were all over the place it most likely is a cat. If it was a more or less 'tidy' scene it could have been a predator bird 'plucking' its prey.
But most likely the scene of the crime has been distorted.... A couple of week ago I thought I saw a falcon take a bird of our neighbours roof ....
Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 16:05:32 »
 ;DHi Wills...we seem to be plagued with cats you and me. ....At least we don't get sarky comments for being 'off' topic on here. The posts some of the mods are making really makes everyone unhappy. We don't work for the beeb, surely if we're not rude or offensive does it really matter.....Blimey surprised myself there..didn't mean to let off steam, ....Yes birds of prey pluck them into the air if they can.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 16:46:26 »
Hi Val, Sorry to hear the Mods got into your system, I kind of take them as they come and let comments slide down my back as we say. One of the cats in our neighbourhood has taken a very close interest inour feeding tables too, but being over 1.8 metres high on slinging post they cant get at the birds on the table. I just hope the ones that pick up the grains on the soil keep very alert.. :-\
Happy Gardening

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 17:20:12 »
Interesting what you say there about the feathers.  The ones in our garden were in a neat circle, almost as though something had sat there and plucked what looked like a pigeon until he was buck knacked!  So maybe it was a bird of prey after all.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 17:41:17 »
Hi Emma Jane,

It really could be, birds have good table manners....  ;D
Happy Gardening

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 19:11:55 »
Ring of feathers? hmm! now I know where they may have come from :o

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 19:54:28 »
One day we saw a pile of fluffy feathers on our neighbours back green, and were thinking that she'd had a visit from the local sparrowhawk again, until she revealed (rather sheepishly) that she'd been shaking out her down filled pillows out of the kitchen window and one had burst! To make matters worst, the wind blew most of the feathers back into the kitchen!  :(

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 11:29:10 »
 ;DBlimey Spurdie...that made me laugh..sort of thing that usually happens to me..lol...We may be moving into your country in a year or two..not so far up as you ..West Bunbartonshire do you know it?

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 19:08:29 »
OH MY GOD!!!  :o What on earth has possessed you? I hope you have a sturdy pair of wellies!  8) No, I'm not familiar with West Dunbartonshire at all, I'm afraid. However, I'm sure you'll fit in wherever you are - you seem to be that sort of person!  :)  

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 10:28:48 »
Hi Val, that would be quite a move, leaving the temperate hazel woodland behind, heading for the heathered northern hills... Better check if it is midge country,  or you are going to miss your squirrels.... ;D
Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 11:49:49 »
OH has relatives there...I'm fed up with the very dry summers..Sounds idyllic but in fact its a nightmare if you're a gardener. I love cottagey plants, that need a lot of moisture, I'm not really into med style gardening...and strange as it may sound I think there might be more oppurtunity for the 2 youngest...18 & 16...one is a musician the other doing art A levels and I know both those scenes are big there.Also Kent people aren't friendly , and I'm getting tired of saying hello with no answers.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 11:59:05 »
Hi Val, I've had a look on the map and see West Dumbarton is on the South West of Sterling. I once passed Sterling by train on my way from Fort William to Newcastle, it is very lush green, I don't think long periods of drought will be a problem there,.... no problem keeping your butt filled ;D

Really beautifull, but instead of a mayor you'll have to settle for a provost  ???
Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 16:23:22 »
Hi Wills.Its not far from Loch Lomond so we'll have Nessie to contend with. I've never been further north than Yorkshire but we're going to go and look first. Franks mum comes from there and Franks got cousins there , but nothing definate yet. Our Sarah's got to finish her A levels so it'll be after that..if we go.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 19:25:55 »
Aye aye Val (you might as well get used to it!)  ;D
Fit like? This year has been a soggy summer, but last year we were as badly affected by drought as anyone else in the country! Even this year I had to water the gunneras, astilbes and cannas!!!
The west coast of Scotland is great for growing tropical plants - my cousin lives near Oban and they think it a real novelty to see snow!
Hardly any frosts either! Speaking of snow, we had our first snowfall this afternoon - huge white flakes, drifting slowly down gracefully  :). Unfortunately, this was followed closely by several showers of stinging hailstones  :(. I think it's going to be -4 tonight, it's bitterly cold already.
I grow lots of cottage plants very successfully (said she, bragging) so they'd easily settle in fine up north.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal