Author Topic: What will grow now.  (Read 2434 times)

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
What will grow now.
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:06:30 »
Well now we have the tunnel, (nearly fitted up) What can I put into it now to grow over winter.  any ideas.  :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What will grow now.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:02:05 »
just sowed pak choi but watch out for slugs, also have winter density lettuce in there, and all yr round, spring onions in clumps just coming through, long red radish and mooli radish just showing.
I've read you can put kohl rabi and turnips in now, plus carrots, they get to a useable size and just sit there for you to pull as you need them, haven't tried it yet.
I've taken in 4 roots of old strawberries in pots to force for a final year and started my walla walla onions  :)

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 21:53:19 »
Hi good gourd,
I think we are on a similar mission ATM! 

Very interesting that carrots and turnips can go in now!  I will have a bash at that thanks xxxxx (manic)   

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 17:51:04 »
Cheers for that I will give it a go.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 18:11:15 »
Last year about this time I mixed a lot of unused seeds together and sowed them. They produced some tasty micro greens and many survived the winter and I then used them as early spring plantings. I can't remember exactly what I threw in but it included lettuce, rocket, chard, kale, spring cabbage and brocolli.

I sowed some baby turnips a few weeks ago but so far they are all leaves and no sign of the roots swelling. Yesterday I sowed some white radishes in a container. I have never done that before.

I think it is easy to think " that's it until next year" but, even without heat, I think there are many things that will survive the winter if sown now while there's still enough heat to germinate.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal