Author Topic: How soon?  (Read 4175 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
How soon?
« on: September 18, 2009, 18:50:04 »
If somebody took on a plot at this time of year, how soon would you expect them to start work on it?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: How soon?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 18:55:02 »
Straight away if the weather's okay. There's always something to do such as digging, tidying up and weeding even if they don't want to plant or sow anything until late winter/early spring.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 18:58:19 »
If they have been waiting as they would have been what with the shortage of plots then I would think that they would start right away. We took one of our plots on in October and it was great. We had time to plant the overwintering stuff and time to plan for the next years crops.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 19:04:05 »
start now getting it cleared and set out before the bad weather comes in and winter digging

NOW NOW NOW
 :D
i don't belive death is the end

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 19:22:17 »
straight away,no matter what time of year or if the weather is bad
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 19:31:43 »
Get down and do a bit - my next door plot has just been taken over by a pregnant lady and she has dugg 80% of a fairly nasty plot.  It'll be worth it next year..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 19:34:15 »
Blimey, hope you don't have to deliver the baby on the plot.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 19:51:37 »
These four replies are exactly what I think - I would expect someone to start straight away too.

The reason I'm asking, and I know that maybe I am letting myself in for some abuse, is because of the bloke who I wrote about a few weeks ago.

He looked at the plot on Aug 16th and because I didn't have the paperwork with me, I asked him to come back during the same week to do it.  He didn't come till 11 days later.  I still had a feeling that he wouldn't be able to cope with even half a plot but I went ahead and told him he could have it.  (I didn't have the paperwork with me when he came the second time because he didn't let me know he was coming till the day)

He assured me that he would be down during the same week to start work.
Three weeks later he hasn't been even once.

I phoned him today and asked if there was a problem.  He said he had been working away for two weeks (out of the three, what about the other week??), but would come down within the next five days.

I am sure my initial feeling about him was right. I can't see him devoting much time to the plot and I have people on the waiting-list who are desperate for a plot.

Just want to add - it isn't a case of me liking or not liking the man.  He just seems to be lacking interest and it's driving me nuts.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 20:08:04 »
I sympathise!
If he turns up in the next five days then let him have the plot but on the clear, and written, understanding that it's for a trial period (six months?) and if he hasn't worked it during that time then he'll be asked to quit immediately.
If he doesn't turn up within the five days then contact him and tell that the plot is no longer available and tell him why.
I'd also make sure that other committee members are aware of what is happening and what you propose doing.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 20:09:03 »
sympathies squash,i have watched people sign their contracts with a sinking feeling that they arent going to work their new plot,and  i have always been right. there is nothing you can do here except try not to let it wind you up and hope he does come along and start to enjoy his plot. i would warn against phoning him ya know,he may start to resent that and feel a bit hassled,which ,may in turn put him off turning up.
good luck and fingers crossed his plot gets worked on soon

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 20:10:04 »
I sympathise!
If he turns up in the next five days then let him have the plot but on the clear, and written, understanding that it's for a trial period (six months?) and if he hasn't worked it during that time then he'll be asked to quit immediately.
If he doesn't turn up within the five days then contact him and tell that the plot is no longer available and tell him why.
I'd also make sure that other committee members are aware of what is happening and what you propose doing.

i agree
i don't belive death is the end

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 20:11:13 »
Betty, Anyone who looks on your website can see that you and the others on your commitee are really there to help new  people get off to a good start and make every effort to meet everyones needs. You are not there to tell them what they can and cannot do. It is a discussion  between both parties. I think that the way that your allotment site does concerning potential plot holders is a very sensible way of going about things.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 20:12:05 »
i beg your pardon,i misread,so he hasnt signed on the dotted line then?
i agree,6 months probation is a good idea,we do that now too

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 21:07:40 »
Once again: you have to treat this tenant just like any other tenant.

What do your rules say about a probation?  Either new tenants get one, or they don't.  You don't get to choose.  Do the Allotments Act apply to your site, because that limits the scope of any probationary clause to evicting people from outside the parish within the first three months.  Even if the Allotments Acts don't apply, a probationary clause might still not be enforceable if it wasn't fair and equitable.

What do your rules say about cultivation?  Unless your tenant is breaking a rule you have no complaint, and even then he has to be treated just like any other tenant.  If your rules are too strict you're unlikely to convince a judge to give you a possession order, so even though your committee might want every plot to be a showpiece, it's not unreasonable for an allotment plot to be a bit weedy and untidy.

The chap applied for an allotment, and he's met you twice on site and still not come away with his tenancy agreement.  He doesn't have to account to you for his attendance, and if he chooses not to dig his plot until the spring then, providing he's not breaking any reasonable rule, that's his prerogative.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 08:50:37 »
Thank you for the very helpful replies.

Flighty, I like your idea of a written agreement of a trial period.  Do you think something along these lines would work:-

Temporary Tenancy Agreement

Plot no.
Date.

I understand that if this plot is cultivated satisfactorily and to the approval of the committee, it will be offered to me with a Full Tenancy Agreement after a period of ...............months from the date of this Temporary Tenancy Agreement.

I agree to abide by the Allotment Rules.

I will not erect a shed or greenhouse on the plot during the Temporary Tenancy.

Signed
Witnessed by

How does that sound?  Anything else need adding/changing?

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 09:06:00 »
I started my plot the day after I was given the key.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 09:06:37 »
Yes that looks okay to me. Show it to your committee and get their approval.
I'd make it for a period of six months as by the end of March the plot should be ready for planting and sowing. If not then it'll be clear that the guy is a time waster, and that the plot should be given to someone more deserving.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:08:19 by Flighty »

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 09:10:07 »
i was given my plot last november and within 2 weeks we had it strimmed and dug over. ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 09:11:46 »
Betty, Anyone who looks on your website can see that you and the others on your commitee are really there to help new  people get off to a good start and make every effort to meet everyones needs. You are not there to tell them what they can and cannot do. It is a discussion  between both parties. I think that the way that your allotment site does concerning potential plot holders is a very sensible way of going about things.

Thanks for that Shirl.
I am probably guilty of being a bit obsessive about our allotments.  I want people to be happy there and to feel at home.  I want them to look forward to coming and not look on it as a chore that has to be done.  Some of our plotholders would have no contact with other people if they didn't come down every day.  Quite a few folks still come when the weather is bad because they know that even if they can't work on their plot they can have a tea with their mates in the pavilion.
Of course, there are a few people who don't want to join in with anything, and that's alright too.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 09:13:16 »
i beg your pardon,i misread,so he hasnt signed on the dotted line then?
i agree,6 months probation is a good idea,we do that now too

No, purely by chance I didn't have the forms with me.
Do you have a written agreement about the 6 months probation?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal