Author Topic: General questions  (Read 2195 times)

robertw

General questions
« on: September 26, 2009, 16:57:08 »
Hi. I've just got a plot which was apparently just grass/lawn (a few weeds in the corners which I will have to deal with!), but the farmer has rotivated this for me. Being a complete novice - this is my first allotment - the only thing I've noticed is the ground is quite stoney.

Question 1: I presume I should remove these stones/pebbles?

Question 2: Will the rotivated grass/soil contain enough top-soil, or will I need to buy compost/top soil??

Any general hints on what to do at this stage (ie. Almost into October) will be much appreciated. I'm 99% decided NOT to put raised beds in! I really just want to get the plot prepared in the best way for early next year when I'll start planting and (hopefully!) growing.

Many many thanks everybody!!
Rob  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 16:58:40 by robertw »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: General questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 17:05:45 »
Welcome to the site Robert.The only advice I can give you is dig the plot and get the weeds out before you do anything. A patch at a time if I were you and then get something in so that you will get a bit of encouragement from seeing your stuff grow.If its been grass then the soil should be quite good for the first year. Just get the big stones out and leave the rest. You will be able to plant overwintering onions and garlic. broad beans in October. You may be able to get hold of some brassica plants from a nursery. You will be able to put some fruit in as well if you want to.Whatever you decide have fun doing it ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 17:25:24 »
Hi Robert welcome to A4A

This is what I have to say on the subject......written with people like you in mind!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Allotments/Introduction.htm

ps Read the page first before following the links!

robertw

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 17:28:29 »
If its been grass then the soil should be quite good for the first year. Just get the big stones out and leave the rest.

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the very quick reply!

So you think I needn't bother spending money on extra top soil, just give it a try? The stones look about the size of tangerines down - none of them are very big, so I can leave them?

Thanks again,
Rob.

robertw

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 17:29:37 »
Hi Robert welcome to A4A

This is what I have to say on the subject......written with people like you in mind!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Allotments/Introduction.htm

ps Read the page first before following the links!

That looks perfect. Thanks a million Tee Gee.
Rob.

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 18:22:12 »
hello rob and welcome
  all i have to say is_dig plant and most of all enjoy
      good luck

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 19:05:20 »
Hiya, Robert, welcome to the madhouse of allotments and growing things in general  ;D
mark out your paths and walk on them so you don't compact your growing spaces  :)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 19:21:55 »
I would look at other plots and decide which type of allotmenteer you are.  Haphazard, neat rows, raised beds, open plan or a bit of all types  etc..  For me open plan does not work.  I need to have small areas which I can plan and work on one at a time, but the man next to me has neat rows down the whole plot.  We get on well and shares seeds etc.  so it does not matter which  you do.
Welcome and enjoy.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 21:51:22 »
Hi Rob and welcome to A4A.
Nothing to add to what has already been said really, but just wanted to wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 22:58:10 »
Hi Rob, welcome to the site.

Inaddition to the other replies i would suggest starting a leaf mould cage.

Four posts and about 6 feet of wire netting.  Collect leaves (not evergreens) and stack for about 18 months.  That will improve the soil in a few years.

Bill

small

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 23:35:16 »
If it was 'just' grass, farmer's grass not a lawn, there may be couch in there. The previous occupant of our holding spent all his time rotovating, chopping couch roots into ever smaller sections........it'll be easier to remove now than if it starts popping up in your veg. And all the best with your new venture, too.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 05:36:48 »
I'd try to get the bigger stones out and use them as path either to mark them out or else to use as the surface of the path (if you have enough of them.)... Couch grass is one of the main perrennial weeds but unlike some others I'm not quite so fussed about getting it all out in one go at first. It will come back if you don't get rid of it all but I find it easier to pull it out of well worked soil than I did digging the bits of the plot I dug through when I took it on.

The only weed that survived me growing potatos through holes in weedmulch was a few bits of bindweed, and I got them out when harvesting the spuds..... The other currently covered bits will get broken in with the same technique.... I've been growing stuff in builders bulk bags of freecycled topsoil and msanure this  year and its worked well for a lot of things, though I wouldn't recommend it for beans unless you can sort out watering them a lot....

Don't buy topsoil, it turns up on freecycle all the time, I'd concentrate on getting some organic matter in there, you should be able to get manure either cheap or free if you collect yourself. Horse can be used straight out of the horse pretty much (I grew all my spuds and squashes/pumpkins on fresh horse this year and I'm very happy with the yield), cow and pig need some rotting down, if you can get chicken manure (it stinks) either use it as a spot fertiliser for "hungry" plants like spuds or squashes/cucumbers/pumpkins or, especially if it is fresh, mix it into your compost heaps as an activator..... 

If you want stuff to go in before winter then I'd echo the previous posts, onions, garlic, broad beans, a few spring cabbages if you can get the plants etc

chrisc

robertw

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 08:49:46 »
Wow, what a friendly bunch!

Thanks one and all for all the advice and tips. Brilliant. I'm working my way through the guide Tee Gee advised.

I'm certain to have more questions soon!  ;D
Rob

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 10:46:58 »
Hi Robert welcome to A4A... I'm assuming your stones are "rounded" from your tangerine description and would assume your allotments are on an old river gravel terrace... concentrate the larger ones for your paths but they won't do much harm...  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 19:01:38 »
People vary enormously in their attitude to stones. One of my neighbours carefully sieves them all out, someone else from a drier climate leaves them as they help to trap moisture. As long as they don't impede digging, it's entirely up to you. I had one patch where bits of broken brick were so thick I had to use a mattock to get through them, but they're long gone.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal