Author Topic: Cauliflower Soup - rescue needed  (Read 3142 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Cauliflower Soup - rescue needed
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:49:34 »
Hi
well I had a cauliflower that need using up and thought I'd make some soup. I chopped some garlic, some onions a couple of spuds and the cauli, gave it a gentle fry, then added a sploosh of white wine, some veggie stock and black pepper.
Just tasted it, after having added some parsley and frankly its a bit grim! And there is a huge amount!! And its a bit stinky!!!
What can I do to improve it / alter it? What could I add to it that would make it tasty let alone palatable?
I was planning on freezing some of it but if I freeze it like it is I know it will lurk in the freezer for ages and not get used and then eventually dumped. Or should I just chuck it away now and learn my lesson  ::)
Vote now

Cheers

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Cauliflower Soup - rescue needed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 13:15:03 »
i find curry powder useful in no hope situations.  :-\

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 13:17:58 »
yes thats a good idea, but just not sure if it will actually improve it  ::)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 13:26:26 »
not that this helps after the event,but why the wine? dont think it suits personally.
is the texture ok?have you salted? a dash or cream perhaps?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 13:33:05 »
You might be right about the wine but I often add it to soups and stocks - it seems to give it a bit of a boost in flavour and so just did the same as usual.
Consistency - well I whizzed it up a bit so think gloopy might just about describe it accurately  ;D I salted the portion I tried with the parsley and it did help a bit but not enough if you see what I mean
Thanks

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 13:53:55 »
Hi there I think you should add some blue cheese or any cheese to it. It will really bring it to life :)  think of cauliflower cheese  ;)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 13:56:16 »
I think I would chuck it and forget about it.  Perhaps the cauli was past its best and that gave it the funny flavour, not too sure about the wine, better to drink it.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 14:53:40 »
thanks for the suggestions -
What I forgot to mention is that it needs to be dairy free (that's my fault  :(  ), but yes the thought of blue cheese or any cheese does sound good
the wine was left over wine from a few days ago, so missed out on drinking it all.....
Maybe I should open a fresh bottle and wait for further inspiration  ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 20:22:24 »
Much as we love you, the thought of cauliflower, (I always thought it was cauliflour, probably why I failed my spelling test)  past it best (you said) and wine that had been opened and the soup didn't taste too good, I really think adding other things may make it worse.  ??? ???  Cauliflower water smells when you drain it and put it down the sink.  Only saying this because I made soup with stuff left over, thought it would add flavour and then ended up throwing in every veg I had and the result was 'orrible', now I try to stick to the recipe, but only add one or two things in.  Actually Baxter do quite good soups in tins, perhaps they have many years of expertise and practising.  My tomato soup didn't taste too good, but I ate it and it took me a lot of trouble to make, but think Heinz soup was better.  >:( >:(

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 14:54:19 »
I decided to do the world a favour  ::)

The gloop is in the bin / down the drain

Might take your tip about Baxters / Heinz, Borlotti- as you say they've been round the block a few times  ;)  ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 16:47:58 »
I didn't mean to upset you about your cauliflower soup, some of my soup was recycled, but I made OH eat it before recycling it, and he didn't dare say anything apart from can I have a tinned soup next time, and my home made wine was rubbish, and even a top chef said that he hated making puddings/sweets and the frozen ones they bought for the top restaurant were good.  I think I will stick with what I know, can do a good bread and butter pudding, and will probably order a take away curry tonight.  Making wine is a pain, and if you don't have the right grapes, buy a bottle in the supermarket.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 16:00:57 »
borlotti - in no possible way did you upset me and my soup !! In fact it made me smile .... Trust me the soup was a disaster from start to finish

Also can't be bothered with wine making when I have a co-op round the corner  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal