Author Topic: Autumn/Spring. When is best to dig a new plot?  (Read 4397 times)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:Autumn/Spring. When is best to dig a new plot?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 13:20:02 »
Sarah,

my Grazing Rye didn't get that far, so I can only give you the theory as I understand it. Unless you're going for a no-dig scheme you will need to cut the rye down and dig it into the soil before you can use the bed. I understand this can be a bit difficult with Grazing Rye and that you may need to do it a couple of times, or do it once and cover it for a few weeks. In addition rye can inhibit germination for a while, so you need to do it early -or plant rather than sow. If you start your beans or brassicas in modules then you sgould be fine.

That is why I am planning to grow sweetcorn, I start it in pots and grow it through a membrane mulch, so it should suit quite well.

There's more in the HDRA factsheets, if you're a member.

Jeremy

jamie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 22:09:14 »
The advice at the allotment shop for broad beans is to prepare with bone meal and lime (be careful, not in windy conditions) 10 days before planting (I did it yesterday). I've found winter planting successful at preventing black fly infestation in spring. You will need to take off the top 3 inches (early May) to deter the black fly. Somebody told me you could eat the tops but they taste leafy! Also to try small 3 inch beans whole (disgusting). Watch out for little holes after planting direct in the plot (mice) may need some fillers. You can't beat the smell of the broad bean flowers the smell is so sweet (March/April). Leaf damage is caused by bean weevil but I've found that it doesn't affect the crop too much. Frosts may cause the bean plants to go black but I've found they do recover (although we don't get too many frosts down South). Do obey the row planting distances if planting mutiple double rows, I've had trouble tip toeing through the crop at harvest time. I've never planted broad beans as a green manure but I do dig in the roots which have the nitrogen fixing nodules. Another tip is to put up wind breaks/string around the rows when the crop gets high (4ft).

Jamie

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2004, 09:33:09 »
Thanks for all the help guys, I am hoping to actually go and see the plot this weekend, so will probably have more questions then.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2004, 10:10:11 »
Seen the plot and am taking it on, as you may have seen from my other posts.

If I green manure, how long before sowing do I chop it down and dig it in.

And if I'm using grazing rye, do I dig the whole lot in, or remove the tops to the compost bin, and dig in the roots?

Is it going to be worth green manuring the patch that I'm going to put ultra-early potatoes in under fleece in Feb?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal