Author Topic: Aloe Vera from seed  (Read 2604 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Aloe Vera from seed
« on: October 14, 2004, 12:52:20 »
I'm tempted to use T&M's free seed offer to get some Aloe Vera seed (normall £4.99 ;D)

But how easy is it to grow from seed and how do I keep the plants happy when (if) they've germinated?
gone to pot :D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re:Aloe Vera from seed
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 22:34:07 »
I never tried them from seed and wouldn't bother as you can buy one in a 3inch pot for around £2.50 ;) and they will produce pups (so I'm told) in quantities so you will never need to buy another plant. :D
They are tender, ::) I recently bought my two indoors, they will remain in the conservatory for the winter in plenty of light, each plant has produced a pup so far, they are easy to separate (so I'm told) but I haven't tried yet, so if or when I get a good stock I will let the adults stay out for the winter and see how they fare. :o
You may already know they have no end of healing qualities in the sap of the Aloe vera leaf, if you don't know then try Googleing it you will be pleasantly amazed. :o 8)

I applied some from a leaf to the back of my hand as I had a rash that even my GP couldn't cure with a cream he pescribed but the Aloe vera worked a treat. 8)

Even Ladies use it on their fair skin to make them prettier but hasten to add Aquilegia you won't need it as I have seen your picture that you are as pretty as. ;D

Roy ;D ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 17:26:18 »
I have a hardy Aloe which was a gift from a Cornish chum. Spent last winter quite happy in our cold Essex garden.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 14:49:09 »
Aqui, I got a small aloe vera plant from a neighbour, and 3 months later there is one LARGE aloe vera plant and 4 wee babies. Aaahh!  :) Have seen them for sale outside our local florists for £1 a plant. They often seem to turn up a school fetes or fundraisers.
Roy, LOVE your tree fern? Is it a dicksonia antarctica? How old is it?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 16:55:51 »
Hi Spurdie, I’ve had the Thingy :o tree fern D icksonia Antarctica for 3½ years it was pretty much the same size when I bought it as they only grow an 1inch per year, I bought another one recently from B&Q £50 same price as the older one not bad eh? 8)
I have two other types of tree fern a Thingy :o D icksonia squarrosa (tender) and a Cyathea smithii (hardy) both quite different but beautiful nevertheless. ;D

Roy. ;D ;D

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 19:10:08 »
WOW!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D
I've always wanted a tropical jungle looking garden, Roy! Yours looks FANTASTIC! I see you grow alot of grasses in pots. Do you take them in all winter? Mine are still in the ground outside. I might dig them up and put them into clay pots for the winter.
Your agave is a beauty. Do they flower at all?
Is your hosta in a pot? How on earth do you manage to keep the slugs and snails off it?!?
Is that banana plants you have growing in a pot in your bottom photo?
Having reread this message, I realise it sounds like the Spanish Inquisition, but one more question: is that a Washington fern in the bottom photo? Mine is still outside in a pot, and it said on the label it was fully hardy, but I'm wondering if I should take it indoors all winter ...  ???

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 22:02:46 »
I leave the pony tail grass’s out, the larger grass’s in pots I set fire to when dry and they generally come back next season lush green.
Agaves do flower but mine hasn’t as yet but I have had about 4 pups from that plant.
The Hostas are in pots and we have now reverted to a smear of Vaseline round the rim since the arrival of Harvey our puppy dog. :o
The Banana is a Musa basjoo and won’t stop having babies. :o
The fern I think you referred to is a palm not a fern called Washingtona filifera, one of my few successes grown from seed, 8) I fix a plastic roof to the pergola in winter and leave the palm under there as they hate getting their feet wet in winter as they rot. :D

Roy ;D

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 18:00:05 »
Ah! So grasses CAN be set fire to and survive! I've seen my neighbour doing that to his BIG grasses, and so far he's only killed one! He also tried that trick with his irises, but unfortunately, they didn't appreciate a roasting and died!  :( This is my first season with perennial ornamental grasses. I've grown annual ones before, so I thought I'd be brave and try the big boys!
Would dearly love some tree ferns and banana plants, but they are very hard to come by up this way.  I don't think they would survive our soggy autumns and harsh winters, despite straw and bubble wrap.
Yes, I meant to say Washington palm, but was probably still thinking about tree ferns!  ??? I didn't know you could grow them from seed! I noticed a website devoted to tropical seeds, and I'm thinking of trying out a few. I'd be much happier leaving out a plant I'd grown for 50p, rather than leaving out a plant I'd bought for £50! You're much braver than me!  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 12:27:32 »
Spurdie - trouble with burning those ornamental grasses is that it may not kill the grass, but it does kill friendly insects that may be living in them. I found a whole colony of ladybirds in MIL's pampas once.
gone to pot :D

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 14:17:04 »
Hello, Aqui  ;D
Oh! Your ladybirds must like their home comforts!  Ours like to sleep in the cracks of fenceposts! It can't be very comfortable for them, poor beasties!
There's no doubt the pampas grass does grow in better after a good clear out of some kind. I have already cut back some of my gardeners garters grasses on a dry day (feels like months ago!) to wrap the dahlia tubers in when they come in for the winter. Not many insects about at all just now - only a swarm of wasps on the compost heap.  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal