Author Topic: Sloe gin.  (Read 7404 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Sloe gin.
« on: September 04, 2009, 22:00:59 »
Missus came back from one of her walks loaded with sloes.
After not one berry last year, I think she's panicked. They look mature though so I'm gonna make a litre, (as we've run out).
That's my story & I'm stickin' to it!
 ;D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Re: Sloe gin.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 20:39:05 »
Only one litre, telboy - I think I would send her out for more ;D

ARV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 14:31:51 »
I think i had a similar response, I found a (rather large) blackthorn patch earlier in the year, but hadn't been back until yesterday. The first area i looked there were lots of small shriveled up sloes, so i thought my luck was out and i'd missed them for this year. Then i moved on and there were loads, mostly just slightly larger than a marble. 3/4 of a carrier bag later i thought i'd better stop picking, but there were still so many!!!  A quick stop via the supermarket to stock up on some gin and thats 4 liters of sloe gin to be shaken every morning!! (and i still have another 2kg of sloes in the freezer!!!)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 17:48:59 »
I've got a pretty good basic recipe for pretty much any fruit and spirit combo... at least you'll get soemthign that will be OK and you can adjust next year to et it bang on...

2 pint milk-bottle plastic bottle, well washed out.
1 lb of fruit
6 oz of sugar
1 bottle cheap spirit

Put last three in first one and shake it daily until all the sugar has dissolved.... bottle it off two months later having strained the fruit through a muslin or a coffee filter paper. What's left of the fruit can be deseeded/stoned and used as an ice-cream sauce or as a basis for a pie filling (keeps OK in a jar in the fridge.....)

if you're using sloes then it helps to freeze them for a few days first.....

chrisc

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 18:25:47 »
Went to Threshers yesterday to get cheapish vodka for my frozen sloes (before they collapse - Threshers that is)and could not believe that the chap selling it has pricked all his sloes. Does anyone do this? With the quantities available this year, how can anyone be bothered? I have never pricked sloes and have always had delicious sloe gin/vodka. I only froze them this year because it was convenient to pick a bag every now and then. All in vodka now.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 20:11:23 »
Been doing mine for the first time. I can't see pricking them making much difference but everyone i've spoke to does it, so i have with 3 bottles and not bothered with one. Wonder what % strength it ends up say after 6 months? Anyone been drunk on it?Still loads about might try them with Vodka.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 17:22:38 »
I froze my sloes and didn't prick them and I now have some lovely sloe gin with a wonderful flavour.;D. I have to keep tasting it to make sure its okay ;)
Mine have been sitting in Gin for nearly two months. This is my first year making it and I am so pleased that I did.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 18:30:06 »
Been doing mine for the first time. I can't see pricking them making much difference but everyone i've spoke to does it, so i have with 3 bottles and not bothered with one. Wonder what % strength it ends up say after 6 months? Anyone been drunk on it?Still loads about might try them with Vodka.

I have, the hangovers quite a lot like port

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 18:38:35 »
On Saturday a friend of mine bought 10 large bottles of gin and 10 half bottles of vodka for £2.74 each, at a Texaco garage/Somerfield which is being taken over by Co-op. Somerfield have lots of stock they want to get rid of, worth checking out if it hasnt already been snaffled :D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 23:04:58 »
Why do you freeze them first i never do ???
I picked this lot yesterday

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 19:53:28 »
Why do you freeze them first i never do ???
I picked this lot yesterday

It fakes up the effects of frost and also breaks the skins allowing for a faster steep.... supposedly.... big arguments as to whether it's worthwhile.... can get heated..... You don't need good gin BTW, cheapy is fine..... I tend to use 1lb of fruit with 6oz of sugar in a 2pint container (well washed milk plastic) topped up with gin.... it's a good starting point... if it's too sweet for you at christmas then split it into two containers, top off with more gin and leave a few more months...... or jsut live with it and use less next time.... if it's nto sweet enough then add some sugar when you decant.....

chrisc

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 17:39:43 »
 We used to make sloe gin when we lived in UK.
 But unfortunately sloe don't grow here in Ontario, but I have a good friend in
 Rustington Sussex that makes it every year and when Gerry and I take a trip back to UK we pick up a bottle of gin at the duty free and swap it with a bottle of Jeans sloe gin, this way I don't have to pick/prick or any thing just swap bottles. :-)))).
 I don't think I shall be able to make any more trips so will have to make what ever sloe gin I have last.
 My Mum first started making it back in the late 40s. ;-))))  qahtan 

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 19:53:14 »
FAO: qahtan: How unpleasant is Canada about you receiving some seeds through the post?.... I coudl prbably get you a few if you wanted..... four years time and you'd start getting sloes....

chrisc

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 20:23:21 »
Thank you very much for the kind offer, Canada customs is sticky about almost every thing.
                           ;-((((( qahtan

twave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 12:42:26 »
I was reading yesterday that once you've made your sloe gin you can use the berries to make sloe jelly. Think I'll be trying this one...  :D

twave

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal