Author Topic: rehoming kittens,advice needed  (Read 2024 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
rehoming kittens,advice needed
« on: September 13, 2009, 19:44:43 »
hi folks,our kittens are coming up for 7 weeks old now,and getting closer  to going to their new homes (even though 2 potential adoptees have changed their minds,good friends and people i thought i could trust,arrgghh!)  has any one any experience of this?
im wondering if its better for them to go one by one,for them and the queen? or all at once,there are five
thanks in advance
rach
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

carbonel11

• Half Acre
Re: rehoming kittens,advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 19:53:21 »
Hi Elvis, can only tell you that my experience has been that they were fine to go one or two at a time. We've been adopted by pregnant strays a couple of times! The first time we allowed mum and one kitten  stay together the second time at around 9/10 weeks mum had had enough and was happy to see the last kitten ( boy) go. All were found good homes eventually ,though like you we had several pull outs first.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 19:57:36 »
You need to talk to Grotbag!! He's the cat expert as far as I am concerned!  ;D ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 22:12:34 »
When our cat had kitties we let them go one at a time, that was way last century (like in the 1950s!!!). Things may be different now, but our cat didn't seem to notice them going one at a time, and was quite pleased to see the back of the last one!!!
The Tuscan Beaneater

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 23:08:25 »
thanks all,comforting to  know,think we will let them go as and when each seems ready. talking of,the smallest one is causing us some worry,he was the last to eat,3 days ago where as the others have been happily munching away for over a week,and he seems to be struggling with pooping(sorry if too much info) he keeps trying,in the tray,bless him,but appears to be in abit of pain,we think and hope its just teething problems.vets on wednesday if no improvment.
we have been advised to try a teaspoon of evaporated milk by a persian breeder in the family,but he wont have it,poor little mite!

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 03:52:30 »
I hate to ask but have you checked that he has actually got an anus? Its not unheard of for some kittens not to have.

Try warm water and cotton wool and gently stroke/wipe his bottom as this emulates Mums licking to make the kits go to the loo.

If you wait untill Wednesday for the vet and he hasnt been by then, it may be too late for the kitten as you have already pointed out hes in pain.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:17:36 »
have tried that,he wriggles so uch is very difficult.im worried sick now youve said that ishard,we jusrt can not get to the vet before wed,will phone vet at lunchtime

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal