Author Topic: roots and the weather...sorry...again....  (Read 1735 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
roots and the weather...sorry...again....
« on: October 13, 2004, 17:52:13 »
Okay, got the score with 'snips, celeriac and salsify, but whilst toiling away at the plot today it suddenly dawned on my, I have 2 lovely rows of beetroots and the same of carrots.  How will these get on if the weather turns frosty?  Should I dig up?  Can I possibly fit anymore veggies into my freezer?

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:roots and the weather...sorry...again....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 20:21:44 »
I still have beets and carrots in the ground too, EJ, carrots still have their envirmesh over so that may protect them longer I hope, but the beets will take pot luck in the ground until we have to dig.  Have never tried leaving them in much later but others may have experience of doing that - interested to hear what they say ....
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 20:40:35 »
I've still got carrots, beetroot and potatoes in the ground.

Grew far too many potatoes for one person - have given my two daughters-in-law some but they seem to prefer the clean ones with perfect skins that come from the supermarket!!

I've had to neglect my lottie so much recently since losing my Dad and needing to be away with my Mum - last time I got up there, more than a fortnight ago, I couldn't even see where the potatoes were anymore - so much weed etc. grown over the ground. Must try to get up there in next few days, if the rain stops!

Living in a flat, I've no-where really to store them either so have a bucketful  in boot of my car, covered with newspaper and another bucketful mixed with onions in my kitchen, covered with newspaper to keep out the light.

What I need is loads of potato based recipes!!

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 21:55:01 »
EJ, it depends on the variety of your carrots.  If they are a maincrop such as Autumn King they will be quite o.k. in the ground with a mesh or fleece covering.  If slugs are a problem water them with coffee.  My Autumn King stay in the ground right through to March with a mesh covering.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 22:02:19 »
Hugh we always have Autumn King as our last sowing but have never tried leaving it - will do that next year.  Up to now I've always pulled a lot at a time and frozen them diced for soup, chopped for stew, whole for ... etc etc and all the time wishing I didn't have to freeze so much!

Don't let the state of your lottie add to your troubles just now HP, there will be another year to get things sorted - know that from experience - when you are ready for the challenge!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 22:04:42 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 03:52:35 »
At the risk of being considered completely old fashioned, what about a root clamp EJ?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 11:49:44 »
I have thought about it John.  I will have to do some research and work out if it will work for me.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 13:43:55 »
I would process the beets before they get too old.

Bake some and freeze,the texture will suffer a bit but come February who cares ?. And make a bucket load of Borsht-but no yoghourt until you come to use it.

Stephan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal