Author Topic: Coffee flavoured ?  (Read 1874 times)

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
Coffee flavoured ?
« on: October 13, 2004, 17:49:32 »
Could someone kindly tell me please, what type are these??  Warm, hot or cold ??  ;D  And are they supposed to turn red eventually ?  ::)

Have four monsters  ( 4ft x 3ft ) still growing strong in pots, to transfer from greenhouse to warmer conservatory !!  ::)

Lost the label, think Dottie P sent me the seed, and sure it had  mocha  in the name, as I remember thinking  " yummy, coffee flavoured peppers"  !!   ::)    HaHaHa !!  ;D

Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Coffee flavoured ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 19:15:04 »
hahaha, Di they are called.......oh noooo now I have forgotten too! :o  

And I quote!!

'Dedo de Mocha'(that'll be the coffee bit you remembered!) Sweet Aji
A hot pepper without the heat! Given to us by pepper expert Jeff Nekola. One of the largest-fruited of our Aji peppers, the beautiful fruit are shiny, almost waxy in appearance and glow a deep red when ripe.

Incredibly productive, & a favourite every year, we like it grilled and served with olive oil. Without the heat, subtle undertones of Aji flavour come out, with distinct smokey tastes being the most obvious.

One of the easiest of our unusual / rare peppers to grow, though you do need a polytunnel or greenhouse. If you want a challenge - it can be overwintered if you keep it frost-free - we have one plant that is now 3 years old and last year it made over 270 peppers!

We have had a couple of reports last year of stressed plants making some heat near the seeds. But in normal conditions this should be classed as a sweet pepper.

Very rare, pretty easy to grow. Gently smokey Aji. Not hot!

If it is any help, mine are still green too! ;D  Have moved them into the conservatory to try to overwinter them!   DP

We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 21:49:05 »
And, if it is any consolation, mine are still green too, although I guess that my Yorkshire windowsill hasn't been the best incentive for producing ripe peppers recently.

To continue the theme, I believe the same company (Vida Verde) is doing seeds for a "Sweet Chocolate" pepper this year - but I think that it refers to colour, not taste!:-)

Regards to all

;)

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 03:54:41 »
Tried them once, notably lacking in flavour unfortunately.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 00:20:08 »
Hey, thanks Dottie P, you're a gem, finding that info for me !  ;D Many thanks.
Very prolific, and looks really handsome, all those large shiny fruits dangling !! Will definitely try to overwinter at least one !!

Hi Sue and welcome ! I'm in Yorkshire too, way up in the Pennines, very challenging conditions !!  ::)
Thanks for the info on sweet chocolate, sounds interesting!

John......which one did you find disappointing, coffee or chocolate ??

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 18:00:10 »
The chocolate one. Of course that was about fifteen years ago and there may be better selections available now.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 21:59:53 »
Thanks John.

Munched a raw green Mocha, and was pleasantly surprised, a mild, sweet peppery flavour.  :)

Will save some seed for the swap board.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal