Author Topic: Haigh Hall Allotment Gardens  (Read 2901 times)

flytrapman

• Half Acre
Haigh Hall Allotment Gardens
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:35:34 »
I help out as a volunteer for BTCV (British Trust for Conservation Volunteers) who have restored the walled garden in Haigh Hall Country Park.
BTCV are interested in developing the derelict zoo area at Haigh Hall into an Eco Centre, this would consist of an allotment area and permaculture which would show and give interested members of the public the opportunity and ideas on how fruit-vegetables and flowering plants can be successfully grow, they could also participate in the development and upkeep.
To gain the necessary funding a licence and or lease is required and I would be obliged if anyone with an interest in seeing and/or getting involved in the project complete the questionnaire and return it to me, either by pm or email to
pfa1955culuk@hotmail.co.uk
The walled garden is open to members of the public every Thursday and there is a wide range of different varieties of vegetables, wild flowers, tree and soft fruits including many heritage apples.
Regards
Phil

BTCV
(British Trust for Conservation Volunteers)

Proposal for Haigh Hall Eco Centre

A little bit about the proposed project: BTCV are applying to the National Lottery for a grant to convert the old zoo area within the Haigh estate into a practical food growing and learning area for groups and volunteers of all ages. The area will be reopened to the general public for recreational purposes and the site will provide a venue for courses on food growing, permaculture, orchard management, beekeeping and a range of other environmental topics. Food produced from the site will be distributed in the local area and will be available from the stable yard.

1. Would you like to see the former zoo area returned to public use?

Yes                     No

2. Would you be happy to see the space used for education and/or food growing?

Yes                    No

3. Would you be happy to see the area developed e.g. for housing?*

Yes                    No
*This is not an option currently under consideration by Wigan Council, but we are interested in determining public opinion regarding development of the site as it has not been ruled out.

4. Would you like to see this space used for another purpose?

Yes                   No

(If YES please go to question 5. If NO go straight to question 6)

5.  If yes please can you specify the use in the box below

6. If the proposed project went ahead would you be interested in    volunteering to maintain the area or taking part in any gardening/ green living courses taking place there?

Volunteering                Courses                  Neither

7. Would you be interested in buying food (mainly fruit and veg) from 
     Haigh Hall that had been grown on the grounds of Haigh Hall

Yes                           No

8.  How important is it to you that the site is organic?

Very                        Fairly                      Not At All

8. Would you like to see, where possible, ‘green’ energy and structures
     used? (green energy such as solar power, wind turbines. Green
     structures such as straw bale buildings, and green roofs)

Yes                   Don’t know                   No

If you have further comments please feel free to note them in the box below

It would be helpful if you could provide your postcode to allow us to ensure there is a good demographical representation       

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on Haigh Hall. The comments you provide will help us to establish the how people feel about the current use of the Haigh estate and how people would like to see it improved. Public opinion will be taken strongly into consideration when the proposal is put to the decision making panel of the lottery. 

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Haigh Hall Allotment Gardens
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:57:32 »
Hi flytrapman
Is there a link to a website for the questionnaire.  It's a bit of a faff getting it off a post into a usable format.  Or can people who want to complete it PM you and you could email the document to them?  It might help too if you explain where Haigh Hall is - I've not heard of it.  Sounds like a great proposal, good luck!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:03:00 »
is it the one in wigan, they have a derelict zoo area? never heard of the walled gardens only being open on thursdays, though  :)

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 18:20:43 »
Hi
Yes Haigh Hall is a country park in Wigan, Greater Manchester. Due to thefts the walled garden is only open whilst volunteers are on site.
Their is no website but if people PM it to me I will forward it on

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 19:03:45 »
sent, I hope  :)
good luck with it, I'll have a word on saturday with the rest of our plot holders, maybe some of them could help  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal