Author Topic: Advice please for Village Show  (Read 5447 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Advice please for Village Show
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 16:47:18 »
Any hints on showing sweetcorn? I've been asked to support the village show so I am trying to. Do you show it with all the green on, or do you part the greenery to show the yellow cob, or do you show the naked cob???

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 17:51:15 »
If you look at the picture of the basket above you will see a corn cob on display.

Leave the frond and tassle on. Strip off a sufficient number of fronds to expose the whole width/thickness of the cob.

I tied these fronds in a bow at the base rather than having them lying about untidyly.

Displaying on a black backing board/cloth helps to enhance the appearance.

I hope that helps!

Best of luck!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 18:50:54 »
Ah. Didn't notice the cob at the back. Also noted you disapproved of the layout so did not take it seriously enough. Thanks very much for the advice.

This is a very last minute entry as I have known for some time I would be away on the day from 8.45am, so did not plan to do anything. However our secretary has put me on the spot by offering to help me in any way possible, so I am having to think quickly about what to do. I have got stuff for 10 - 15 classes, and am not looking forward to doing the fiddly stuff with shallots and raffia.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 19:05:35 »
As TEE GEE says for presentation. What the judge will be looking for is a nice color, straight lines of colonel's and as it says on the schedule a 2" stalk.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal