Author Topic: Run  (Read 2667 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Run
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:59:36 »
Do you?  I've just started.  I want to run a marathon in 13 months time and I've got 3 stone to lose.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Run
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:10:57 »
I do.  13 months is plenty time to get to marathin distance if you stick at it.  Which marathon are you aiming for?

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:45:47 »
i do too.  nowhere near marathon standard though.

i started about six months ago after mum died as i planned to run in the run for life, but i found the time scale unacheivable. might be ready by next year though.

but on the plus side i have found something healthy to do.  after six months i have lost a stone and i can run about a mile and i am so much fitter.  i go out twice a week with a mate and we have a right larf. we are 'ladies of a certain age' and we get overtaken on the prom by all the bright young things in all the gear, but we dont care, we are fitter and lighter.

get some good running shoes, start slowly and build up in acheivable steps.  good luck  :D

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:53:23 »
If you haven't already, you could join the Runners World forum.  It's the A4A of the running world - friendly and knowledgeable.  Lots of help with training schedules, motivation, injury etc. etc.  They also have a race finder which I use to choose and book races that fit with whatever training schedule I'm on.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:06:00 »
I did... decades ago... did the band aid thing (10K) in 40 minutes... haven't done any seriously for 20 years...  :-X

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 13:45:01 »
I'm pretty nifty over 10 metres.  ;D

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 13:58:43 »
I also did, once,  decades ago, had to wave at the bus driver to get him to stop though.

Never done it since - bought a car.

I suppose I could jog from the front door to the garage.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 15:37:09 »
If I tell my body to run it just says  "Who me?" 

pennsylvannia planters

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 15:44:56 »
Many years ago when we had a caravan at Bridlington, i used to jog from the site into the town (About 2miles), and then have a fishermans breakfast (bloody big fryup), before waddling back to the caravan. ;D.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 18:50:48 »
Thanks guys.

Ceres, I want to do the Clarendon.  Have you done the Windsor half?

Saddad, that's a great time for 10k, better than I could hope for I think.

Sarah, I'm training with a mate too, it's good isn't it.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 19:04:23 »
Yes, I have done the Windsor Half but I don't have very good memories of it!  It was a very hot day and the course is "undulating".  It's pancake flat where I live, so hard to get hill traning in.  I found it tough and got a blinding migraine not long after finishing, probably from over-heating/dehydration.  Scenic course though, lots of support around the course, the finishing straight goes on for ever and ever, nightmare queues to get out of the car park afterwards.

The Clarendon looks tough - not sure I'd pick it for my first!  But if you can train on that sort of terrain, you should be OK.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 19:23:14 »
Saddad, that's a great time for 10k, better than I could hope for I think
It was a long time ago...
Hills I remember... from the Pennines the school cross country course went from 800' to 1500' to 600' then back in about 3 miles. I ran for the ATC at Blackburn and thought I was doing badly until we hit a hill about 2/3rds of the way round when I seemed to sail past half the pack who stopped to walk... a couple caught me on the home straight...  ::)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 19:30:55 »
Hi Ceres, yeah, I remember the car parking.  We ran it in '99 - Mrs U. in 1h 36m.  I haven't run for a year, but I've run before.  I ran the Clarendon in 2006.  The race is never the problem, it's doing the training, and I'm overweight and lazy.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 19:37:25 »
Hi Saddad, I did quite a bit of runnin on the canal - it might raise as much as 8' every mile!  I don't know if schools even do x-country any more.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 21:00:50 »
Ours.. where I taught for 14 years never did.. where I went did in the 70's... When it snowed you had to be good to get over the snowdrifts before the others broke the crust and you had to wade through the snow...  ::)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 21:08:00 »
where I went did in the 70's...

Mine did too, then I never ran again until I was nearly 50!  Did a great cross-country race over the downs at Epsom - February, sub-zero but clear blue skies and bright sunshine, fantastic!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 21:09:38 »
and I'm overweight and lazy.

Well, if you can sort the lazy, the overweight will take care of itself!  What else you gonna do these dark winter mornings and evenings?  Read seed catalogues?  ;)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 10:33:06 »
Many years ago I did a marathon in the Himalayas running along the foothills of Everest.The next day I actually climbed it!

When I woke up from the dream I was knackered!  ;D ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal