Author Topic: ubisurfer  (Read 2887 times)

ACE

• Hectare
ubisurfer
« on: August 30, 2009, 16:29:25 »
I needed something to use as I move about. It did not need to be a full size lappy as I already have one (too big to lug about). So I got this little gadget, but it ain't half slow mum. Runs on linux which I cannot get around yet, so are there any tips or tricks I should know about.

Yer tiz
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=261613

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: ubisurfer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 20:28:48 »
How about  coming over here and trying it in our house. Bet it won't connect to the Internet here.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 22:42:05 »
I needed something to use as I move about. It did not need to be a full size lappy as I already have one (too big to lug about). So I got this little gadget, but it ain't half slow mum. Runs on linux which I cannot get around yet, so are there any tips or tricks I should know about.

Yer tiz
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=261613

Just had a look at it. I am not happy with their listing of 50GB online. It looks misleading, 1GB flash memory is the total in the computer. It is a Netbook which is a cut down laptop, as such, it also has a very cut down Linux system (if it doesn't perform well, don't blame it on Linux, the full edition which I use performs extremely well on my laptop and desktop). It's different to Windows, works differently and will be a steep learning curve. I prefer it to Windows, although I do have to keep an HDD for my destop with Windows on it to operate some awkward equipment which won't work with Linux.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:30:10 »
I don't mind it being slow, now that I know it is bound to be slow because of the limited stuff they can get in the box.

It is purely for finding informataion and keeping in touch when I am at a show or on tour with the caravan. I don't need it for full scale computing as I have my big works lappy and that does all that.

All the same, I hope it can double up in an emergency. Like keeping records of costs etc on the road. It is also very small so it can be hid out of site when I am not using it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal