Author Topic: Hardy Nerines  (Read 1686 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Hardy Nerines
« on: August 27, 2009, 14:51:23 »
or Nerine bowdenii to give it its proper name.

I would like to know when the best time to lift, divide and replant these bulbs is. There is a large overgrown clump in a client's garden that has got infested with ground elder and so on. i would like to take them up clean up the soil and replant in the same spot.

The only info i can find in books is 'divide late summer' ie now. is this correct and if not when? Also once lifted and cleaned up how do i replant them? Shallow, deep, wide apart or close together. How many could i get for example in 1 square foot of border? What about after care, any required?

Many thanks.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Hardy Nerines
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 20:39:34 »
I would wait until the leaves have died back . It seems a shame to disturb them just before they flower. Is there any chance you could leave them til nov/dec?

Ground elder is such a menace!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Hardy Nerines
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:48:18 »
There are no leaves at the moment! From what I remember of them last year they flowered in around october/november time, then produced leaves.

Have i perhaps got the wrong plant name? The flowers look like nerine flowers.

The book definetly says late summer for lifting. I am guessing they then regrow through early autumn then flower, but i am not sure hence the OP.

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal