Author Topic: slug damage  (Read 1355 times)

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
slug damage
« on: August 26, 2009, 13:58:08 »
can anyone sugest anything to stop slugs attacking my pots, I've cut all the tops off following the blight and now find the majority have been attacked by small slugs

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: slug damage
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 14:53:27 »
this got a mention on another post -

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,54592.msg554465.html#msg554465

hope it helps. I've yet to try it, but am going to give it a go next year

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 15:19:33 »
We use the nemaslug... it's really good after a couple of applications... a sort of cumulative effect on our heavy clay soil (not really suited to them)  :-\

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 15:33:30 »
My plot has been slug free this year [pretty much) whereas all around get attacked and that was one application of Nemaslug in th espring.... occasional doses of Ferramol have produced dead snails but few if any lugs so I'll definitely be using it again..... that said I think it went on as a perfect storm.... all the overwintering slugs hatched into it as it was going on, were infected and died leaving lots of parasite eggs before there was anything of mine in there, then the eggs waited out the hot spell in June before piling into whatever was left in the July wetness... result has been no visible slug damage to things notorious for it like Oca..... WIsh they made one for rabbits (Nemamyxie anyone?)

chrisc

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 15:38:02 »
Apparently there is one for caterpillars...  :-\

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 15:53:33 »
and one for ants!!

;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 17:16:05 »
They did have one for rabbits back in the 1950's, but it doesn't work any more.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 19:12:59 »

Got to say that have had some success with ridding our garden of slugs this year,

-- due to the wet weather and the new position of watered beans and toms, they all converged

from next door [[  2 ft away  ]]   , '' I havent had so many this year '' she said,      ;D

Must have '' flushed ''   100 +  --  morning and evenings-- girt big'ans too  [[ V large  ]] ,

It really does work --  honest !     They are breeding size so well out of the way,

The hedgehog should take care of the  weenies,   look around at what is a  potential breeding

ground, decking on the soil ---   well,  picked up over 50 and thier eggs when we first moved in,

lay a trap , a decking panel ?   anything they will lay under out of the light and sun  ---  give

them a refuge ---   then you got' em !      ;)

I'm not really a vindictive person   ---   honest,       ::)

Hertfordshire,   south east England

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 21:18:46 »
Sad to say that there are no longer any hedgehogs on our site, they have all died off due to the use of slug pellets (I hold my hands up and admit that I use them, but long after the hedgehogs had gone).

The sad truth is that the hedgehogs just did not do a good enough job otherwise pellets would have not been necessary and all the beer traps, midnight hunts with torches, copper strips, grit, coffee grounds, egg shells etc., etc., etc. have failed to find a "natural" cure.

Nemaslug is grotesquely expensive to use over a whole plot and who knows the long-term consequences, look what happend with the "natural" introduction of myxomatosis.

You have already been directed to my posting about this.

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:10:53 »
The obvious question with Nemaslug is, what conditions does it need to thrive long-term? If it's possible to culture it rather than buying in every year, then it would become economical.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal