Author Topic: small veg recommendations  (Read 1702 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
small veg recommendations
« on: October 12, 2004, 13:52:39 »
I'm rather planning ahead here. EJ inspired the idea (so thanks!)

I'm going to buy my sister some veg seeds for Christmas. She's really new to gardening (first year this year) but is really enjoying it. She has a very small balcony, so everything must grow relatively quickly in pots or grow bags.

I was thinking:
tomatoes - something like tumbler
leeks - baby ones
peppers or chilli peppers - what would be a good small and easy variety?
baby carrots
and a few other things - any recommendations?
gone to pot :D

Merete

• Not So New ...
  • Newcomer without funny line
Re:small veg recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 14:00:26 »
Herbs!

Chervil is very easy, the varieties of mint (oregano!) will grow anywhere, as will chives. Basil is fine too, though awfully thirsty stuff.

(If she has children, all this will go well on a pizza - good selling point to get short people to lend a hand...)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 14:06:48 »
Chili pepper-`Apache`-mail me I may still have some seeds.

Stephan

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 14:36:27 »
strawberries, definately!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 14:45:14 »
She doesn't have kids, but I'm sure she'd enjoy the pizza! She did herbs this year - basil and corriander, so I was looking for something for her to graduate up to!

Strawberries - I wonder if she likes them now. It's a running joke in my family - she likes cream but doesn't like strawberries and I like strawberries but don't like cream. Strange girl! (me or her - you decide!)

Stephan - thanks. I've PMed you.
gone to pot :D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 14:54:40 »
This year on my 'Balcony of plenty' I grew:

Santa mini plum tomatoes as cordons. I used the deep planting in half a growbag method and I am still picking ripe toms.

I grew climbing beans up a wigwam of 6 foot canes, and got 2 lots of beans off one pot.

Also grew Californian Wonder peppers and Redskin. Redskin did particularly well. Cayenne peppers too, although yet to test their heat.

Also considered lettuce (mizuna or rocket type?) carrots, spring onions, and radishes.

I'll agree with strawbs, if your sister decides she likes them. I squashed 10 runners in to one growbag, and they seem to be doing well.

If you really want to splash out, how about one of the 'minarette' trees from Ken Muir?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal