Author Topic: Butternut squash  (Read 1186 times)

ali parr

• Not So New ...
Butternut squash
« on: August 23, 2009, 20:50:20 »
All my butternut seem to start well then rot off from where the flower was back in to the plant,any idea why,never grown them before ???

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 21:42:54 »
Hi

Welcome to A4all.

It could be inadequate polination.  You could help them along by taking the male flower, without the baby squash behind it, fold back the petals and dust the female flower with it.  It happens a lot with courgettes early in the season the same.

Hope that works, or someone else comes along with any other ideas. ;)

T.

ali parr

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 13:07:58 »
Thanks, will have a go. There are quite a few of them and it does not seem to matter what stage this happens, some were tiny others about 5 inches that did look really well,then were affected.at one point I thought it might be because they were touching the soil,but this does not seem to be a factor as not all of them were.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 13:19:29 »
I think the flowers are prone to rot when it's damp/warm. I read somewhere to avoid wetting them when watering. I tend to pull them off once the fruit is selling. Works on courgettes as well

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 14:11:33 »
I agree with non-stick. If the female flowers are pointing upwards there is a tendency for rain to collect in them with a strong possibility that they will induce rot. As non-stick says, remove the female flowers once the fruit has formed.

ali parr

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 20:12:46 »
thank you all,it's just so sad to see them all dying when I was so excites about growing them.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 20:32:16 »
I am growing mine on a square compost heap made with pallets and the best squashes are those hanging over and along the sides.   The ones lying flat have either rotted like yours or are much smaller.   Next year I shall plant them near the edge and train them over the edge and along  from the start.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal