Author Topic: salsify and scornenzdinakdfiaa (whatever it is called!)  (Read 1770 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
salsify and scornenzdinakdfiaa (whatever it is called!)
« on: October 12, 2004, 12:52:13 »
Similar to my celeriac thread.  Will this overwinter okay in my well drained Essex ground, or should I dig it all up now and store?  And if dig it up, how best to store??

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:salsify and scornenzdinakdfiaa (whatever it is called!)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 13:59:07 »
Hi again-they will be fine in the ground,but remember where they are ;) cos eventually the foliage will die back-think parsnips.

Stephan

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 15:04:07 »
Hi EJ - I'm thinking of growing these 2 veggies next year. Would you recommend them as easy to grow/ nice to eat?
Will you be growing them again next year?

Sarah.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 17:40:27 »
They both have an interesting flavour. Am about to try a soup - though not enough salsify as I suspect hubby used them in something, so added some scorthingywhatsit - currently in the oven to roast, then to whizz it with cream or something....
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 18:43:56 »
So easy to grow!  I sowed in modules, forgot about them in the greenhouse in spring....planted them in a bare patch on the plot, forgot about them for a bit, weeded them a bit, and dug up a scordensidadaiid whatever about 6 or so weeks ago.  I was making veggie curry and it went in that so couldn't tell you the flavour.  I am hoping to save mine to use as a vegetable at Christmas dinner.  Blanched, then griddled and smothered in some sort of sauce, or butter me thinks.  Yum!  

And yep, I will be growing them again for sure.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 19:55:01 »
They are both delicious, but salsify (the vegetable oyster) definitely has the better flavour, as well as being easier to prepare (scorzerona has black roots and is an absolute nightmare to peel.  The roots of both need a drop of vinegar or lemon juice in the water to stop them going black (it`s the iron in them).

Both can be left in the ground until required.  Personally I prefer salsify peeled, cut into thick slices, parboiled and smothered with butter, but if you like something a bit more intricate try this:-

Parboil the sliced roots and then place in a pyrex dish, use some of the parboiling water to make a white sauce, cover the roots with it, add breadcrumbs and grated cheese on top, then bake in hot oven until nicely browned.

If you leave some salsify roots in the ground until spring they will sprout again - use the sprouts at about 4inches long for salads, and up to 8 or 9 inches long to cook as an aspasagus-tasting spinach.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal