Author Topic: Butternut Squash!  (Read 4345 times)

loub

Butternut Squash!
« on: October 12, 2004, 11:46:26 »
Hi,

Had a butternut squash plant erupt in my garden earlier this year, a lovely suprise but now I have about 8 huge squash on there and i'm not too sure what to do now.

It seems the weather is deteriorating and i've heard that the frost will destroy a crop of squash but i'm not sure if I should pick them or not.

They are still quite dark green although have been turning a lighter green during the past 2 weeks, and seem to have a lighter green to yellow 'star' shape on the bottom of them, which is I assume them ripening??

If I pick them now and play it safe will they ripen to the usual creamy colour on their own, i.e in a greenhouse / windowsill?  Or should I leave them on the vine to change colour completely and hope for no frost???

Also, a couple of the squash are 'normal' butternut squash shape, while the majority are quite oval, resembling a fat green marrow or elongated green pumpkin! Is this normal??  ???

Any info would be appreciated, many thanks!

Loub

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Butternut Squash!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 12:19:05 »
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 06:49:55 »
Butternut et al? = Tim

loub

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 23:09:13 »
Cheers for the info DP, but still unsure if I can pick them while they are still green! Thanks anyway  :)

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 03:49:53 »
Squash wil not ripen to any significant degree off the vine. You would be best leaving them on the vine but if they are significantly under ripe they probably won't ripen at this time of year.
If your squashes are a mixture of shapes are you sure you have only one plant? If you have only one plant then it would probably indicate poor pollination this year. If you have more than one plant then it would indicate cross pollination from other squashes last year.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 12:04:45 »
 My little gathering.  No butternuts, the darn slugs ravaged the plants and they gave up the ghost, but a few others to play with.  Already eaten some!  Don't think they will last the whole winter through, they are soooo yummy!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 12:22:14 »
They look good EJ. What variety is the blue/grey skinned one I can see? It looks like the ones you get in the shops in Tasmania.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 13:23:58 »
Cor Emma - you do like squashes, don't you. All set for Halloween!
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 13:54:32 »
The blue one is called Crown Prince.  The acorns and winter carnivals, which are the dumpy orange and greeny stripey ones did the best considering no plants received any extra water other than what mother nature provided.  Pretty much 2 squashes per plant, but enough for us.  Big plans for next year!  ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 15:11:47 »
Thanks EJ, which seed company did it come from?

If I get my act together this year and actually get a lottie, I will give it a go.

Might try to sneak some seeds in to the country when I come back from my visit to Tassie at Christmas time too  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 15:43:52 »
Daughter would love to paint those, Emma.

Is that a Spaghetti Squash - the big pale one? = Tim
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 15:44:36 by tim »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 12:15:06 »
Moggle, I will be saving seeds from them so fear not, I shall send you some once they are nice and dry.

It is Tim - sorry, I should have labeled them.  The bottom shelf is a marrow in the middle, a winter carnival to the left and a red acorn to the right.  Middle shelf and winter c's and acorns again, and on the top is the veg spagetti, autumn gold guords (or something like that),  then on the seats are a couple of pumpkins, turks turban, red kuri, and crown prince.

Tim, would you like me to email you some pics of them?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 12:30:49 »
Here is my Butternut harvest, well minus 3 that have been eaten and 4 still on the plot! As you can see they come in various shapes n sizes!
Was very pleased when I saw them in a local supermarket.....organic butternut, £2 each! (17 squash at £2 = 34 squid!:o ) Pack of seeds only cost around £1.34!! This lot came off 4 plants.

Jendaffodil

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 12:36:14 »
Doris they look wonderful.  I have never eaten squash but reading all the enthusiasm for them here I must have a go.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 13:24:28 »
Cor DP, they look great!  I can see the book now....101 things to do with Butternuts, by Doris Pinks!  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 13:36:35 »
DP - wow lovely. I hope the slugs don't get mine again next year.  :'(

Jendaffodil - You must try them. My favourite way is to put big chunks in with the spuds when roasting. yummy.
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 14:17:43 »
Hehehe EJ! I do have many recipes! Our favorite though is carrot and squash puree, delicious, oh and roasted with ground corriander, pepper and garlic, oh and soup...........................I'll stop there ;D
Jendaffodil, you must! They are easy to grow, so long as Aqui says, you get em past the slug stage!

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 00:16:36 »
Wow Doris, that's a great crop! One of our family favourites and one I'm determined to try next year. Hope they turn out half as well as yours!

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 09:51:54 »
I will agree with soup and roasted pumpkin! Yum  :P :P

EJ, seeds will be gratefully recieved, thanks. Perhaps I could swap some for the Jarrahdale seeds that I hope to bring back here from Aus. Am I allowed to bring foreign seeds in to the country?

DP your butternuts look fab. What a saving! I might have to give them a try next year too.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 09:52:21 by Moggle »

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 00:26:26 »
Hi Moggle.
I've bought some seeds back with me when last time I went back to Hong Kong.  One of them seeds was introduce from Aust. They're look like water melon. I'm trying to find out the propor name of it. The one you mention Jarrandale seeds what does it look like ?  ???It is like that?
We have given it a chinese name. One plant it nearly cover half of my plot. Please let me know what it look like if you have some pictures of it. Thank you!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal