Author Topic: My slightly flawed and unscientific garlic experiment!  (Read 1984 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
My slightly flawed and unscientific garlic experiment!
« on: August 25, 2009, 17:31:52 »
I decided to try growing 3 different types of garlic - Iberian Wight (wouldn't usually buy this on principle but it was all I could get when I decided to try the experiment), a Tesco bulb and a bulb from the local fruit and veg market.

The Iberian Wight and Tesco were planted out on the 31 Oct last year.  The market garlic didn't go in until 5 Dec (that's the flaw - hadn't managed to get to the market!).  They were all treated the same from that point on.  The Iberian Wight and market garlic were lifted on 23 Jun.  The Tesco garlic stood a bit longer and was lifted on 1 Jul.

I've cleaned them up now, so:

Iberian Wight - a disaster, probably marginally the biggest bulbs but every single one has split open and the cloves are discoloured.

Tesco (a very hardneck variety) - the smallest bulbs but very clean and white.

Market - the best result despite being planted 5 weeks later than the others.  A mix of larger and smaller bulbs, all clean and white.  Unhelpfully, because it came from the market, it's unlikely I'd get exactly the same variety (or even from the same country) again.  So I plan to follow the advice from the experts on here and save the largest cloves as my seed for next time.

Interesting!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: My slightly flawed and unscientific garlic experiment!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 18:48:12 »
It sounds as though you left the Iberian Wight too long before lifting.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 19:08:10 »
Interestingly after growing Tesco hardneck 3 years ago and investing in expensive "proper" ones since then, the Tesco ones remain about the best, rather small but firm and excellent keepers!

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_garlic.html

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 19:16:11 »
It sounds as though you left the Iberian Wight too long before lifting.

Hmm.  Don't know Robert.  They came out just as they were starting to go brown.  Any earlier and they would have been green.  I'm surprised if a commercial variety is that sensitive to time of lifting.

Interestingly after growing Tesco hardneck 3 years ago and investing in expensive "proper" ones since then, the Tesco ones remain about the best, rather small but firm and excellent keepers!

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_garlic.html

That's exactly what I thought - that the Tesco ones would probably store best.  I'll use up the others first in that case.

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 20:07:38 »
My two favourite home grown garlics have been produced from 'food grade' bulbs acquired via The Really Garlicky company; the varieties are Music and Patagonian Purple, both are hardnecks and produce 6-8 fat cloves per head, this years bulbs are a minimum of 2.5 inches across. :D These varieties are definitely being replanted this autumn.

Last October I planted some Picardy & Albigensian Wight, Purple Moldolvan, the above, a Tesco hardneck and a softneck of unknown variety from Taylors described as 'white'. Of the 'seed' varieties the Moldovan & Picardy have potential; reasonable sized bulbs & pleasant flavour (I'll replant the largest cloves & see how they do).  The 'white', Tesco & Albigensian results were pathetic by comparison, I may re-plant some cloves out of perverse curiosity.  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 20:09:31 by sholls »

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 21:44:23 »
Ceres, when you say the cloves are discoloured, is it just the skins or the actual flesh? Some of mine are brown this year but inside they are perfectly useable (it just takes a harder bash with the palm to get into to them  ;))

My french market ones (brought back one year by our daughter) are now many seasons down the line and by far the best, I don't know the variety of those either! So I agree with you, save the biggest and best cloves for next year.

Linda

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 22:41:50 »
Just had a closer look at the Wight, Ninny  Some of them are dirty brown, some are a bit mildewy, some of the cloves look dark green under the skin.  I will use what I can of them, using brute force where necessary  ;D

Good to know that folks are having good results with kitchen garlic and saving their own from year to year.  Sounds like the way to go.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:09:20 »
I had read about keeping the best bulbs to grow the following year and I am certainly impressed having done it this year.  I grew Solent White last year and kept the best and have a wonderful crop this year, I would recommend it, they must adapt to the growing conditions over time. :)

T.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal