Author Topic: Which hedge should i use.....  (Read 1678 times)

David P

• Quarter Acre
Which hedge should i use.....
« on: August 21, 2009, 22:21:04 »
Hello all hope your all doing well...

I've just finished doing my back garden i.e building a retaining wall, putting up a fence on one side.  I'd really like to put a hedge in the other side to encourage some wildlife into the garden, one than grows pretty quick and maybe even would keep its leaves in winter.... not sureI dont really know a lot about them.

I live in a terraced house and would like a kind of cottage garden theme so if the hedge could mix in with that then great, but any ideas would be really appreciated.  My garden is only about 3m long and i'd like the hedge to grow to a max of around 4-5ft...

Hope to hear from someone soon

Dave P

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Which hedge should i use.....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 18:38:20 »
Hi David

Holly makes a good hedge and tolerates a bit of shade, but it's not fast growing.  Beech and hornbeam only drop their leaves brown leaves in the spring, but again neither is exactly fast growing.  Had you thought about a willow fedge - a woven living fence?  Willow is fast growing and supports a lot of wildlife.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 23:09:50 »
Flowering currant? Doesn't keep its leaves in the winter tho, but it's a quick grower, flowers in the spring, birds love it. Could send you some cuttings to root if you're interested.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 23:29:39 »
Hi,
Why not choose a mix of all in this locality. Then you can add some holly which will add all year round colour too.
Make the base of willow to give stucture and Beech/Hornbeam for depth, finally add holly for protection and food for all sorts of wildlife.
Below is a picture of the hedge that I am growing and when ready, I shall lay it as per the guides for native laying. Start with one type and allow others to grow through it.
Most people would say to plant Hawthorn but with so many people passing by they could hurt them selves on it, as it grows so quick.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:07:33 »
Rosemary?  :-\

David P

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 16:45:45 »
hi all

thanks for all yor replies, I like the idea of a mixture of things. How difficult is it to do the willow fedge?  The flowering currant looks gorgeous too and I may very well take you up on your offer of a cutting.

I'm own in wales visting some friends at the mo and have seen a few Laural hedges, just wonder what peoples opinion on this type of hegde is and if i could integrate it with other ones like the flowering currant and even some holly.....

Thanks again

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 13:02:53 »
If in doubt,

Use the web site sguested by Kendy.

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

I have used them and can say they are good. Info is great too.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 18:26:12 »
Laurel does make a good hedge but grows very wide and tall, its not ideal for a small hedge as you want. The only good thing is you can masacre it and it will grow up again.
You pretty well say you want evergreen, but I would avoid conifers as I as a Forester have spent the last month organising cutting back mamoth hedges in estate house gardens that have got out of hand, like 20 feet and more tall.
I would recomend a good old favourite privet, but not the green one but the variegated one. It is easy to grow, even from cuttings, and easy to clip and keep under control. It makes a dense hedge that birds will like and does not loose its leaves.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal