Author Topic: Apple varieties  (Read 1223 times)

anemone

• Half Acre
Apple varieties
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:47:01 »
I've inherited a couple of apple trees and I'd love to know what variety they are.

Is there somewhere I can take (or send) them to be identified??

I thought I'd read the RHS do it on special 'apple days' but I can't find the info anywhere now.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Apple varieties
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:54:33 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 13:18:20 »
The RHS service is only available to members - it's in the handbook.  From memory it costs £8.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 13:31:43 »
Hi Anemone

You did read about the RHS apple days as I posted about them and certainly the Wisley one is in Flighty's link under Surrey:

"Friday October 16th – Monday 19th RHS Wisley, Surrey A Taste of Autumn includes apple tasting and apple identification day called A Taste of Autumn"

I went a couple of years ago and got mine all identified and had a wonderful time tasting all the varieties - I was amazed by the variation in taste.  Very useful for people choosing new apple varieties.  I decided I would like a Worcester Permain, I had never tasted one before.

They also had the most wonderful squash soup made with Crown Prince and were giving out the recipe, my family's favourite now!

If you are not near Wisley or any of the RHS gardens you could see if there is something near you in Flighty's link, it is well worth it and a good day out.

Good luck

T.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 13:46:01 »
We grow Crown Prince... any chance of that recipe... ?
 :)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 14:05:08 »
Saddad I will find it for you, haven't made it for a couple of months now so it will be down the pile somewhere, I have written myself a note so I don't forget!  Will post it in the recipe section when I find it.  It's a brilliant soup.

And will file it properly. :-[

T.

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 15:43:48 »
ooh thank you! Wisley's only an hour from me and it's sounds a great day out.

I'm also growing a crown prince - one tiny fruit so far:)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 11:30:32 »
I found it!  I have posted the recipe for squash/pumpkin soup in the recipe section.  Hope it is useful for you.  I am nurturing my Crown Princes especially for this.  Anemone, there is still time yet, I try and leave mine on the plant as long as I can into October.  I can only see three but am hoping there are more hiding in the jungle!

T.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal