Author Topic: Potato apple?  (Read 1309 times)

samela

• Not So New ...
Potato apple?
« on: August 27, 2009, 16:24:36 »
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help me.  This year on most of my potato plants I had these small round 'apple' things growing on my plants.  I'm sure someone told me they were called potato apples but I've googled them and can't seem to find anything about them... I've probably got the wrong name for them. Does anyone know what they are?  I want to know of they are harmful in anyway?  I caught my son taking a bite out of one today and I'm a little worried
Thanks for your help.

Sam x

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Potato apple?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 16:28:24 »
They're the fruit.  I've heard it suggested otherwise, but I believe they're poisonous.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 16:29:09 »
highly poisonous they are the fruit of the potato plant did he spit it out, if he is to young to understand not to pick and eat them then strip them off and dispose of them to prevent any poisoning accidents.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 16:35:02 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 17:24:07 »
Time to grow a selection of ridiculously hot chillis.... better that kids learn not to eat the pretty fruits from them than say a nightshade......

samela

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 18:17:57 »
Thank you all soooooooo much for your help and quick replies.

I've called NHS Direct who have told me to keep an eye on him and get him to A&E if he starts vomiting.... I'm sure he'll be fine as I don't think he swallowed any.  I caught him on his first bite!

Thanks again one and all

Sam x

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 19:29:14 »

samela, do hope your little boy will be ok, swift reaction all round will have saved

the day i'm sure,   

-- can't say I have read anywhere else of the importance that is :   about children

''  eating the wrong things from plants  '' , so much so  that I think the ' tabloids '

ought to run a page on it ?
Hertfordshire,   south east England

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal