Author Topic: Runner Bean Failure  (Read 6861 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Runner Bean Failure
« on: August 20, 2009, 22:56:55 »
For the first time in 30 years my runners are a dismal failure. I planted borlottis from saved seed, now all disappeared after only 2 pickings, and also Celebration of which 3 remain but no more flowers at present. I didn't do anything different, made the usual bean trench filled with compostables and horse poo etc. Still, the Parador courgettes planted in the same bed have been (and still are) magnificent.
Anyone else had a disappointing bean yield?
(  the Yard Longs were a no show too, but that's the same as last year ::))
Smile, it confuses people.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Re: Runner Bean Failure
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 23:37:44 »
Wouldn't say mine were a failure but really disappointed and one of my worst years as I haven't been able to get to the stage where I am sick to death of the things.

I grew Celebration this year and at first was really delighted with them, they were early and a nice long straight bean.  But they finished really early and no second flush of flowers like you get when you sow something like Scarlet Emperor, Polestar, Painted Lady etc.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 00:11:03 »
there has been a lot of pollen beetle about this year, they bite their way in from behind the flower, and eat the pollen without pollinating the flower
You couldn't make it up!

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:28:04 »
I must say that mine story is a tale of two rows..

Enorma, bumper crop where I am sick of eating / blanching / giving them away.
Butler, rubbish, lucky if I get a dozen beans a week.....

David

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:37:19 »
Similar problems here, I'm growing painted lady and they have been poor - but then runners aren't my favourite so not a massive loss but a bit puzzling

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:53:28 »
I've grown a wigwam (8 canes) of Enorma and another of White Lady. They were badly hit by blackfly early on, but now they're going great guns! I've given them away, made chutney and still we can't move for them! Everyone on our site is the same.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:25:56 »
Doing OK here... Painted lady and Scarlet Emperor... but several people on site say they haven't done well...
  :-\

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:32:57 »
A month late & poor.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 09:35:21 »
Our Enorma are doing very well. The Cherokee are bloomin fantastic
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 10:56:40 »
Anyone else had a disappointing bean yield? ...

It was amazingly dry at the wrong time this year!  Runners need prodigeous quantities of water ... mine really suffered!  They are only now picking up momentum!  :-X
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 11:31:50 »
I feel a bit better having read that I'm not alone, and I did a quick rece this morning on our site. Not many look that brilliant I must say. We do suffer with wind here ( ::) ;D) which has spoilt them in the past. Maybe I'll re-site them next year and go back to a tried and tested variety (by me).

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 11:49:42 »

A couple of weeks ago... they are over the top now. Scarlet Emperor on the left and Painted Lady on the right...  :)

A close up last week... but you have to lie down for this one...  ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:51:39 by saddad »

Pomona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 14:36:18 »
I'm wading knee deep in the things at home- can't pick them fast enough and the plants are so heavy the wigwam has a dangerous list. Now I know why everyone else on our site seems to grow their runners on huge metal constructions!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 18:11:13 »
I too have been rather disapointed by the performance of my beans so far this year. After doing all the usual things (nice big trench filled with compost and shredded paper then left awhile before planting), most of the plants have only grown half way up the canes, when i usualy have to stop them when they get to the top. The plants are flowering but setting is poor. Conversely right next door I have french climbers that are doing brilliantly, giving a really good crop on healthy plants. It is a real mystery, as normaly the runners would be cropping like mad by now.

Also strange is the comparative performance of the frenchies - I wouldnt have expected them to be doing so well in a summer like this. Always beleived Runners needed cooler wetter summers and French the opposite.  ???

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 18:35:32 »

This is a relevant post , because --  when I read I look to see what part of the country

peeps do live in !    ;D

It helps to understand the problem if you live in Scotland or Cornwall ?

Please, just an area will do ,      ;)
Hertfordshire,   south east England

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 19:04:07 »
 Runners are grown here in the Niagara Peninsula, Ontario, Canada, mainly
for that  "pretty red flower" to climb up a trellis. If they do happen to let them bean then the snap them not French. That is if you are not English.
 But we always grow them, but have found that they do NOT like the heat, and it does get hot here,  last week with the humidity it felt like 108, that's hot and awful.;-))
 This year the beans really have not been as good as norm and we think it is the weather. And you have had some pretty hot days in UK haven't you ???

We use wooden poles for them to climb on as Gerry (husband ) says that although the metal would be strong it would get too hot for the plants, some times too hot to touch with naked hand.  Any way this was just our 2 cents worth
 on why we think your beans are not so good this year. qahtan

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 20:35:23 »
Great photos to make me jalous Saddad ;D.  (Roald Dahl fan here). Yes I did lie down to view.
Pomona what variety do you grow?
I must add that my french beans - non climbers - are doing very well in similar conditions as the runners.
qahtan where I live, we have almost desert conditions, it is reputedly the driest place in England. Because of this I straw mulch like crazy when the ground is wet, but no good this year. A plotter told me this is the driest year for 30 years that he can remember.  :o
GA, this seems to bear out your theory.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 20:40:10 »
My french beans have been fab as well. But what I forgot to mention earlier was that the Runners got an attack of black aphids earlier on, so I washed them off and pinched the tips of the plants. They now seem to have perked up again as I saw a good few new beans developing when I was on the plot today  :D

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 20:49:49 »
Essex was a desert ( less than 10" of rain pa) for most of the 90's... not just culturally....  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 20:51:46 »
I don't know WHAT you mean  ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal