Poll

Would you want moths and catterpillars being breeded in the allotment next to yours

yes
4 (36.4%)
no
7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Breeding moths & caterpillars to keep on the allotment  (Read 3183 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Breeding moths & caterpillars to keep on the allotment
« on: September 09, 2009, 22:46:12 »
I went to allocate an allotment to the next person on our waiting list.  He then told me he intends to use the allotment to keep butterflies,  moths and caterpillars.  Even though he said he would keep them under a net, I have refused him the allotment.  I said he could appeal against the decision in writing to the town council.   Our rules are clear: hens, pigeons, rabbits only, plus the plot available is not one of our livestock plots anyway

Anybody know of anybody using allotments this way?  Would you like these insects in the plot next to yours.......
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 22:49:11 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: Breeding moths & caterpillars to keep on the allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 23:00:14 »
 :) to be honest ,yes I would... I study insects and photograph them, moths are nocturnal how are you going to stop them pollinating at night? as far as I know pigeons and rabbits don't do this / shades x
grow your own way

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 23:22:29 »
Hello ktsawson,

Is this person wanting the allotment just to keep his insects, or is he using the allotment what it is meant for and just keeping a few bugs?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 23:25:35 »
Assuming he was using most of the lottie for crops he could have a moth cage for me...
If he was raising codling moths or cabbage whites we might fall out...
Does your site allow bees? If yes are they on the list you quoted... if not he hasn't got a case..  :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 18:09:34 »
I wouldn't see an objection. I  think it would be reasonable to specify that he couldn't keep pest species - which make up a very small minority - and people might be happier if he grew veg as well. But I'm not in favour of the restrictive approach which says that you can keep a few specified types of small livestock and nothing else. There's no need for it; why should chickens be OK, for instance, but not ducks or guinea fowl? Or rabbits and not cavies, for that matter.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 21:40:38 »
Is this person wanting the allotment just to keep his insects, or is he using the allotment what it is meant for and just keeping a few bugs?
Not for cultivation, just breeding the bugs.

Does your site allow bees? If yes are they on the list you quoted... if not he hasn't got a case..  :-\
No.  Chickens, pigeons and rabbits only.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 21:56:00 »
surely it would depend on which varities he is after,ie,some beneficial to others,some not?i would ask the husband who knows about this but he on a marathon phone call to my father in law.
also,if he hadnt stated what he was intending,you wouldnt have known and given him a plot anyway,tricky...did you take any advice on this before refusing him.....if i was in similar position im sure i would have,as sec too myself?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 00:11:38 »
Allotments are primeraly to produce food, rabbits and poultry where allowed to be included during the last war to help people have fresh meat for the family.
Ok most of us grow flowers to encourage bees ect but if the plot was not to grow food on i think you did the right thing and even if you had given a plot and it was found to be being used for other uses the plot could be taken away from them, we had a problem years back on another site where a plot was being used to store timber and all kinds of junk from a business he lost the plot.
So many people want to grow food it would not be fair to have a plot used to breed insects, i am all for encouraging wild life on plots but not breeding as a hobby and there is always a chance they could escape and cause massive problems on site.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 00:27:23 »
but,was this person wanting to grow veg with a side of fruitfull insects,need more info methinks,
i have the job of re letting plots too,and would never dismiss anyone,except for an extreme reason,actually need more info here please
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 21:07:55 »
but,was this person wanting to grow veg with a side of fruitfull insects,need more info methinks,
i have the job of re letting plots too,and would never dismiss anyone,except for an extreme reason,actually need more info here please

He clearly said he wanted it for breeding the insects and was not really interested in food cultivation.  Even if he wanted hens he could not as our 20% of plots allocated for livestock are already taken.  Existing plotholders can swap as and when one becomes available.  Just not for breeding moths and caterpillars.  Tennancy agreements clearly state the 3 categories of livestock permitted.  I have never refused any plot allocations until now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal