Author Topic: What to take to the allotment, if you haven't got a shed  (Read 4162 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
What to take to the allotment, if you haven't got a shed
« on: August 15, 2009, 19:00:59 »
I take fruit juice, never enough, when it is hot, and tissues, not for the toilet but don't suffer from hay fever but my nose always starts running.  Then I take kitchen scissors, and some twine and at least three bags and a plastic container.  Was only going to do some weeding today, as didn't think there was much to pick, but after digging up the marestail found a load of potatoes, and then had to pick the last of the raspberries, blackberries, sweet peas, peas, rhubard and runner beans (which I swear grew whilst I was watering).  Also the sweetcorn as the birds or squirrels had started having a go at it.  And of course a few courgettes had grown overnight. Staggered home, luckily not many people there to give me produce, no wonder my back is so bad.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: What to take to the allotment, if you haven't got a shed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 19:26:08 »
As above and
Lump hammer
Gloves
Bowie knife
Bar of choc

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 13:19:07 »
A shed

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 13:29:40 »
Some sort of trolley with a table area and built-in toolbox http://www.bigdug.co.uk/storage-solutions-c11/tool-storage-c48/professional-tool-trolleys-p59

and a heavy duty sack truck for bigger tools http://www.tmsuk.org/eshop/show_detail.php?item=44

..and a large car!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 14:36:02 »
Sheds not allowed by Council (apart from Joe Swift, of course) as they encourage vandalism.  Do have a locker provided by the Council to store a few tools, so am quite happy with that.  If I had a shed I would never go home.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 15:11:29 »
Whatever and however often you take your stuff up to the lottie it is sods law that you need something that is still at home!!

I am very forgetful now and always assume that I have a screwdriver - hammer and those 2inch nails up the lottie - when in fact they are at home after my last plunder at home!!

Luckily I have a little sentry box shed which I keep the forks/spades and a few essentials in - but the number of times that I think I have something and I havent - it is astonishing!

My car serves as a third reserve and looks like - and mostly smells like - a compost heap and that has a fair bit of tat in it also!
In my polytunnel I have a couple of kids Ikea storage thingys which  I hang from the uprights and they are useful storage!  a nuisance tho!

Old Bird!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 15:24:53 »
I'm always leaving things back at the house...  ::)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 16:10:54 »
Have you thought of a trolley that can remain permanently packed with your plot essentials. Such as a Pack-N-Roll see link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000WDXN22/sr=8-1/qid=1251294020/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=79903031&s=diy&qid=1251294020&sr=8-1 I have two of these one for the garden and one for bringing home certain types of shopping, I got them both at garden flower shows (the 2nd one was because I forgot the 1st one home  ::)) for only £9.99 but online I haven't seen them for less than £11+. They are collapsible for easy storage but like I said you could leave it permanently packed with your tools, also long handle tools may be a bit cumbersome but you can secure them with a bungee cord/ twine.

I have found them to be extremely sturdy and not at all hampered by uneven/ muddy ground and being plastic they are easy to hose down when they need cleaning.

Another option is those collapsible shopping trolleys you see the older folks using http://www.zeel.jp/images/goods/200710/31/21/1248436565r.jpg I also have a couple of these but personally I think they would be hampered greatly by uneven surfaces and I find that if they aren‘t packet properly they have a tendency to topple over and also they aren't built to handle lots of weight which can cause the wheels to splay out/ break, etc.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 16:30:50 »
Sheds not allowed by Council (apart from Joe Swift, of course) as they encourage vandalism.  Do have a locker provided by the Council to store a few tools, so am quite happy with that.  If I had a shed I would never go home.
so, how come he's allowed a shed ?  :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 16:44:25 »
I think he said that if his camera crew were filming and it rained they had to get their cameras in the shed, or whatever, although they all have cars.  We will wait and see if he keeps the allotment on, he is on holiday and has plenty of horsetail growing.  The Council did agree that he could have one for the filming but will wait and see if he has to take it down, or perhaps he won't keep the allotment.  He is not up there very often apart from filming.  It was a quiet site before, and now it has became fashionable but how many of the newcomers will keep it up, most of my allotment friends have had the allotment for 30 + years, I have had mine for 6 so am a newcomer.  Couldn't have given the time to it when I was working but being retired, or retarded as OH says it is a great hobby, but still a lot of work and does take over your life, but I just love it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 17:04:55 »
get yourself a mobility scooter and tell them it needs to be kept undercover  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 19:57:46 »
A big umbrella - before I had my shed I got caught in a torrential downpour and tried to shelter under the raspberry bushes :-[ ::)  ended up absolutely soaked but if I had a golf umbrella there it would have provided the necessary shelter, a chap along from me uses one as he has no shed.

I don't really have the figure to look good in a wet t shirt! ;)

T.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 22:32:43 »
A big umbrella - before I had my shed I got caught in a torrential downpour and tried to shelter under the raspberry bushes :-[ ::)  ended up absolutely soaked
T.

I'm sorry but this made roar with laughter ;D, i could just picture you attempting to shelter under raspberry bushes ;D.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 22:39:15 »
get yourself a mobility scooter and tell them it needs to be kept undercover  ;D

ROFL!!!!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 23:54:49 »
A big umbrella - before I had my shed I got caught in a torrential downpour and tried to shelter under the raspberry bushes :-[ ::)  ended up absolutely soaked
T.

I'm sorry but this made roar with laughter ;D, i could just picture you attempting to shelter under raspberry bushes ;D.

It was a good job there was no-one else there, I looked so stupid!!   :) :-[

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 09:21:08 »
T.

It was a good job there was no-one else there, I looked so stupid!!   :) :-[

as they say thank God for small mercies :) ;)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 12:32:01 »
Yes, I don't have the figure to look good in a wet t shirt! ::) ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal