Author Topic: Bubble Wrap  (Read 1870 times)

Jak

• Not So New ...
Bubble Wrap
« on: October 08, 2004, 13:54:57 »
Is it worth bubble wrapping an unheated greenhouse? ???  I only use it to over-winter plants like fuschias, marguerites, tree fern, etc.  If frost is forecast I cover up with fleece and old net curtains anyway.

Jak :D
When the tide of life turns against you, and the current upsets your boat.  Don't waste time on what might have been, just lie on your back and float.

Jak

• Not So New ...
Re:Bubble Wrap
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 11:11:53 »
My reason for asking is that I really ought to replace my bubble wrap - it has been used for too many years and is all dirty and ripped. :(  This has got me thinking that it is not a very "green" way of doing things - all that bubble-wrap destined for landfill.  I think I'll do without this year, I can always double up on fleece.

Do you replace your bubble-wrap every year?  If not, how do you clean it? Seems to be a waste of effort scrubbing the greenhouse with Jeyes and then pinning up dirty bubble-wrap. ???

Jak
When the tide of life turns against you, and the current upsets your boat.  Don't waste time on what might have been, just lie on your back and float.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 12:23:23 »
I bubble wrap as I keep all my tenders in the greenhouse and the less I have to heat, the cheaper it is.  Ava (my better half) brings home waste bubble wrap from his work, so I am recycling it  ;D and I am careful not to wrip it toooo much.  Inevitably some gets past it and ends up in teh bin, but as I have recycled it once, I don't feel quite so bad.  I guess the fleece will keep things warm, but I don't think it would be thick enough to keep any real tender plants safe.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 14:04:42 »
Jak,

I bubbled wrapped the year before last, but not last year. Didn't notice any difference really -which is probably an indication that there were draughts around somewhere.

Most things survived, but I lost a few lettuce (not winter varieties) on the cold side. This year I'm only going to wrap part of it -so if I feel like running my little heater it night actually do something. Might see if I can find one of those mini-greenhouses (or even a just frame for one) and wrap that inside the main one.

Jeremy.

Jak

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 14:22:20 »
Hey what a brilliant idea!  You're a genius Jeremy! ;D  I've got one of those mini-greenhouses so I'll set it up in the greenhouse and keep the more tender things in it and then move it outside in the spring.  I normally use it as a half-way house, as I only have a tiny coldframe - and the rest of the year it's not used.

Thanks for that

Jak  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal