Author Topic: Forty-year wait!  (Read 7391 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Forty-year wait!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 08:38:30 »
I think we all have newcomers who seriously under-estimate the hard work necessary to get a plot up & running. We are in the process of setting up Starter Plots for those with no experience: just 2 beds to look after and plenty of input from us. Hopefully, they will then be fired up to take on something larger next year.

It's also helping to reduce my 20-plus waiting list!

I would be really interested to hear more about your Starter Plots Trevor.

After having a few newcomers take on half-size plots and then not bother with them, I am looking for new ways to do things.

How big will they be (in feet)?  Will they be all together in one area, or dotted around your site?  How much will you charge for them? How many will you have?
(sorry for all the questions, but it does seem like such a good idea)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 12:53:03 »
The starter plots are still very much in the early stages - I signed one couple up yesterday and have a few more who are interested. We've actually had it in mind for some time, because we're getting a number of first-time gardeners sign up and we felt that we couldn't just hand them several square yards of neglected meadow and let them get on with it.

We're fortunate enough to have a plot which has been uncultivated for a number of years, but has several very substantial raised beds on it, plus a cold frame. So we're splitting that up to give 6 starter plots - each comprising 2 raised beds each about 12 feet by 4 feet, plus a share in the cold frame, a communal compost heap and a communal grass area with a few small fruit trees. No sheds or permanent planting allowed. They rent for a growing season, ie. from autumn to autumn (our normal year is January to January) and during that time they will be given help or tuition on a formal or informal basis, according to the individual's needs. We hope that as the year progresses they will start to feel constrained by the lack of space and want to take on a "proper" plot, but if they want to stay for a second season, that's fine. (If necessary, we might have to find another plot to use in the same way.)

The plot-holders concerned will also be responsible for maintaining their area, ie. cutting grass, keeping paths tidy and so on; initially we'll have a working party with them plus a few committee members to clear the whole area and get it up & running. As they are also signing the usual Terms & Conditions, they will be expected to help with general working parties over the whole site. So that way - we hope - they get the mutual encouragement of learning together, plus being drawn into the wider membership.

We charge a rental of £5, (as opposed to £12 for a half-size plot) plus the usual up-front fees that all members pay: £5 to join, £5 for a gate key, £1 for a share and £4 per year for insurance & affiliation to NASLG.

Squash, if you want any more info, or updates on progress, pm me. All of this is in the early stages and we're prepared to amend as we go along.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 13:13:34 »
We don't really have the room for starter plots but we are considering a six month probationary period (terminable on either side) and setting each new member up with a buddy, at least initially, to help them get started.

Gathy

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 18:52:13 »
Hi

I've just logged on today so am totally new to this and not sure if anyone is interested but one of the reasons I joined, other than to get a few tips for my garden, is that my Mum lives in a lovely house with a good sized garden, Dad died earlier this year and the garden is too much for my Mum who is almost 80 but she doesnt want to move.  I love gardening but working full time and with my own garden, dogs to walk and a 40 mile round trip I just cant give it the attention it deserves.  It is crying out for someone to look after it, they have lived there for over 30 years and I can remember the days when Dad grew all his own veggies there.  There is also a small shed and greenhouse included.

Mum lives just outside of Leeds (LS20) - is there anyone who would be interested in this plot to grow a few veg in exchange for tending the lawn every so often?  Or does anyone know of a group that I can contact to arrange something like this.  

Looking at this 40 year waiting list there must be hundreds of people waiting/looking for a plot and just as many elderly people unable to do their garden, not able to afford a gardener and with a lovely plot going to waste.

Thanks
Gathy

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 19:10:03 »
what a lovely idea
perhaps go along to the nearest allotment and ask there,i would suggest the potential person should be someone they know,for security reasons
good luck and let us know how you get on
rach
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 19:14:00 »

If there isn't a stampede of enquirers , have you thought of the landshare
 project?

Some details here :-             http://www.rivercottage.net/landshare/

and some more here :-         http://landshare.channel4.com/

Regretably a little too far for me

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 19:15:47 »
Hi

I've just logged on today so am totally new to this and not sure if anyone is interested but one of the reasons I joined, other than to get a few tips for my garden, is that my Mum lives in a lovely house with a good sized garden, Dad died earlier this year and the garden is too much for my Mum who is almost 80 but she doesnt want to move.  I love gardening but working full time and with my own garden, dogs to walk and a 40 mile round trip I just cant give it the attention it deserves.  It is crying out for someone to look after it, they have lived there for over 30 years and I can remember the days when Dad grew all his own veggies there.  There is also a small shed and greenhouse included.

Mum lives just outside of Leeds (LS20) - is there anyone who would be interested in this plot to grow a few veg in exchange for tending the lawn every so often?  Or does anyone know of a group that I can contact to arrange something like this.  

Looking at this 40 year waiting list there must be hundreds of people waiting/looking for a plot and just as many elderly people unable to do their garden, not able to afford a gardener and with a lovely plot going to waste.

Thanks
Gathy

welcome to the site have you tried posting on  http://landshare.channel4.com/ i'm sure you'll get takers as there are more growers out there than available land.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 21:50:52 »
Maybe they should update the laws pertaining to the use and upkeep of allotments....make it contractual that they will be used and maintained..or taken off you....maybe after 1 or 2 years of no obvious attendance by their owners...

It is not necessarily government law that dictates the rules.  All plotholders do sign a contract and are given in writing, any amendments annually when they pay the rent.
Our site rules are decided by the town council. They also take into consideration suggestions from the allotment committee.  As the allotment supervisor on our site, I sit on these meetings. It is not a dictatorship and plot holders do have a voice. I have asked many plotholders on our site for any suggestions they wish to be considered.  Rules are reviewed every 2-3 years and are due for review next month.  

Waiting lists for our site are currently 4-5 years.  With waiting times as they are at present, it seems to of worked miracles because some plots that were not being cultivated to a satisfactory extent seem to of improved substantially this past 6 months... because nobody wants to lose their allotment for bad maintenance.....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 21:56:46 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 23:11:35 »
Went to the site this evening as I've been away 2 weeks.  Checked to see if the promised works had been done by the council.( wishfull thinking)  All plots are supposed to be taken yet 4 still not being worked. Our bills come at the end of September,so will give them a month, if no show then ask the next 4 on the list.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal