Author Topic: Raspberry replanting  (Read 1675 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Raspberry replanting
« on: August 12, 2009, 12:56:47 »
Hi
I've been given 3 raspberry plants, they are looking very sorry for themselves as they are in a tiny tub (about a foot long and 6" deep !).  1 of the plants is looking reasonably healthy but the others are miserable. Where I want to put them on my plot isn't quite ready yet. So what should I do, leave them in the miserbale tub for a couple of months or replant then into deeper pots? I'm presuming they are summer fruiting as there is 1 new sucker showing signs of life. I was also wondering about giving them a good prune when I plant them out - about late Sept time

Thanks for your help

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: Raspberry replanting
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 23:54:10 »
I had some raspberry plants from a different plot about a month ago, put some in a large pot and some in a small pot about the same as yours.
Some died, some lived, but pot size did not seem to make a difference.
Could you plant them somewhere else on the plot, and then transplant them when they are dormant in the winter?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Becca

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 00:46:21 »
hi , i have a related question re raspberry replanting.  when should i transplant them.  i bought canes in aldi a year or so ago, i have had some raspberries this year. bit bitter but nice ( with icecream).  however the area i planted is unsuitable and new canes/ shoots now so think next year they will be taking up too much room.   
when should i dig them up and should i cut them back first. Not really sure how to grow raspberries at all  ???  :)

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:06:23 »
Don't know exactly, but here's a chap who might

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/raspberries-summer/

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:15:40 »
Thanks for the replies and the link.
The reason I'm trying to delay replanting them is because I want to thoroughly prepare the area 1st. So based on the advice here I'll either heal them in somewhere or leave them in their miserable pot in the garden. I'll have to ponder it over the weekend  :-\ after I've had another look at where I think they should go on the plot

Not really sure how to grow raspberries at all  ???  :)

Me neither  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal