Author Topic: Vine Weevils / Japanese Maple  (Read 1796 times)

Seaforth Allotments

• Not So New ...
    • Seaforth Allotments
Vine Weevils / Japanese Maple
« on: August 17, 2009, 20:26:15 »
Greets,

Slight pest issue...  When we were re-potting various veggies and ornamentals in the back yard in the spring, we discovered the dreaded vine weevil in larvae form.  We spent (literally) hours collecting the wee blighters and then treated all our greenery with 'vine weevil killer'.  A second dose was applied the requisite three months later.

Thankfully, this summer, we've had relatively few problems - a few leaves chomped, and a few weevils squished with stones, but nothing too disastrous.

However, whilst the rest of our garden is doing well, our ornamental Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum Dissectum) has suffered.  It is wilting somewhat; the leaves have turned crisp and pale at the edges.  I read somewhere that this might be a symptom of vine weevil infestation...  Or is the poor thing baking in the extreme Mediterranean climate of Liverpool?  ( :P )

Can anyone offer any advice?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Vine Weevils / Japanese Maple
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:46:18 »
Might be vine weevil affecting your Japanese maple, suspect it's more likely to be a combination of hot sun, wind and lack of water. I have one which suffered the crispy edges to leaves etc for a few years, and then moved it to a damper, shadier, more sheltered spot in the garden and now don't get the problem.

Seaforth Allotments

• Not So New ...
    • Seaforth Allotments
Re: Vine Weevils / Japanese Maple
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 14:43:21 »
Quote from: jennym

Might be vine weevil affecting your Japanese maple, suspect it's more likely to be a combination of hot sun, wind and lack of water. I have one which suffered the crispy edges to leaves etc for a few years, and then moved it to a damper, shadier, more sheltered spot in the garden and now don't get the problem.

Thanks for your reply!  :)

I thought it was probably the climate.  Having said that, as soon as I noticed the first signs of wilting, I made sure it had all the water it could have wanted...  Also, there's not much wind in the yard.

But the maple was in the hottest part of the garden in the spring, so would have baked then.  We moved it a while back, to a shadier spot; I'll see what happens.

Ta!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal