Author Topic: "Deakin" cauliflower - poor crops  (Read 1421 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
"Deakin" cauliflower - poor crops
« on: August 10, 2009, 07:22:12 »
First time growing this variety for an autumn crop to harvest Sep-Nov.  They have produced small heads,  slight purple tinge in colour,  Some are starting to blow a little.  Very disappointed and will now have no cauliflowers from September at this rate.  I will not be trying them again and would not recommend them.

I have also tried another summer variety, Candid Charm.  The website said they were for harvesting Jun-Aug.  The packet reads June-November.  These were fantastic.  Huge white curds that I would recommend anybody for successional sowing to harvest summer to late autumn.  Just wish I had sown more....... ::) ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: "Deakin" cauliflower - poor crops
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 08:12:43 »
I agree with the Candid Charm KT, i have been growing them for a few year now and they have never let me down. One third a dinner for two two thirds into the freezer..
Also trying Avisio, Lateman and one other for the show bench which are due at the end of the month
For next year i am looking for one called Perfection.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:23:45 »
I have also had failure with my cauliflowers this year! Shasta was fantastic for the past 2 years, grwon under netting, but this year I grew them under an enviromesh tunnel, and because I couldn't really see them, they were decimated by caterpillars! Lesson learnt............. ::) I am growing some winter ones, these will be going under nets as usual to keep the sky rats off.... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:25:57 »
You should have said earlier Deb... I had some spare Aalmeer to prick out but they've gone now...  :-[

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:35:46 »
You should have said earlier Deb... I had some spare Aalmeer to prick out but they've gone now...  :-[

Sods law!

To be honest, I hadn't kept my eye on what was going on under the environmesh tunnel, and it was only when I went to pull a cauli the other day I realised what had happened! ::)

I did have great calabrese though! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal