Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?  (Read 262175 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?
« Reply #1480 on: July 22, 2012, 20:58:30 »
To celebrate an English winner of a French race I chose a meal in Italo-scottish style therefore accompanying the bottle of Prosecco was Un salade de Glaswege.... ie a bottle of italian fizz plus cheesy chips with some cut adn come-again salad.......

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #1481 on: July 23, 2012, 11:01:55 »
let's see, a salad of home grown lettuce and baby leaves, artichokes, bettroot, raspberries and MY VERY FIRST CAULIFLOWER! I am so thrilled. There are 2 more on the go and I just sowed some more for the autumn.
Runner beans later in the week, they are almost ready and the 1st courgettes then too.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #1482 on: July 23, 2012, 22:27:10 »
Hubby had a blonde, or should I say grey, moment when he said he fancied some salad and cured meat tonight as it had been so hot today. He'd been to the shop and picked up what he thought was lettuce (my current lot has bolted) which turned out to be chopped kale and the cured meat was pancetta slices  ::).

So had a quick nip down to the drying off onions in the greenhouse, a few of the hardnecked garlic cloves, cream from the 'fridge, a quick steam, a quick fry and served on grilled puffed up wraps.

Didn't know he thought I was into Ready, Steady, Cook  ;D

Ninny

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #1483 on: July 24, 2012, 00:46:04 »
Sounds good Ninny.

If you've got a motorbike too your welcome this way with your frying pan anytime.  ;)  ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #1484 on: July 24, 2012, 18:50:01 »
Sounds good Ninny.

If you've got a motorbike too your welcome this way with your frying pan anytime.  ;)  ;D

;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1485 on: July 24, 2012, 19:57:29 »
Onions in my spag bol.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #1486 on: July 24, 2012, 22:57:22 »
Just some calabrese. Was lovely though. The first time I've had it home grown since I was a wee boy and used to eat my Papa's calabrese. Totally took me back.

To celebrate an English winner of a French race I chose a meal in Italo-scottish style therefore accompanying the bottle of Prosecco was Un salade de Glaswege.... ie a bottle of italian fizz plus cheesy chips with some cut adn come-again salad.......

I hope that CCA salad was deep fried in batter  ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1487 on: July 28, 2012, 22:24:40 »
The first runner bean with lots of courgettes.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #1488 on: August 01, 2012, 10:36:40 »
Yesterday I picked:
2 small caulis,
almost a kilo of beans, runners and french (which went straight in the freezer)
2 small peppers, the first ones!
about 6 small artichokes,
a kilo of beetroot (slightly nibbled)
2 red lettuces and some baby leef
a handful of swiss chard
and 6 baby yellow squash and the 2 first courgettes.
Quite chuffed, except that things are starting to appear and I am off for 2 weeks on saturday.... oh well you can't win...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #1489 on: August 01, 2012, 10:47:00 »
First good portion of dwarf french beans very nice. Courgettes.  Calabrese.  Spuds.  Onion.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #1490 on: August 01, 2012, 11:18:52 »
Yesterday we had lettuce, cucumber, potatoes and beetroot from the plot with a home slow roasted ham. Delicious.  :)

antsuxx

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1491 on: August 01, 2012, 11:27:39 »
    Today Iv picked my first runners and french beans , got a cuople of toms and courgettes, Lettuce, some Charlottes, so a feast tonight.     :)   

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1492 on: August 01, 2012, 13:39:39 »
My potatoes in my shepherds pie, made last night with my (very small) onions, garlic, and one carrot and a few french beans and one runner bean.  Had to buy the mince meat. Had my cabbage with it and a few more french beans (planted about 50 seeds and only got 3 plants).  Picked two cooking apples and made apple sauce for the pork for tomorrow night.  Put one gladeolli in a vase and a big vase of sweet peas.  Just waiting for my little Cox's apples to get bigger, first year have had more than one or two apples on it.  Runner beans looking good, raining today, so maybe tomorrow it will be runner bean day, and I expect the courgettes will have grown overnight, only two plants this year. Lettuce all been eaten, and not by me, toms not looking too good at allotment but OK in front garden.  Everyday I can bring a little produce home, but not at all like last year, when I could give to neighbours, friends, just enough for us.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #1493 on: August 01, 2012, 14:13:43 »
courgettes   there growing like mad
i don't belive death is the end

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #1494 on: August 02, 2012, 12:05:59 »
courgettes   there growing like mad

You're doing well. We've cut just one...the round type...Tondo Di Toscana.

(Which translated probably means: "fat chance in this weather!"  ;D  ::)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #1495 on: August 02, 2012, 13:39:53 »
Wow Graceland lucky you I didn't get a single courgette this year, no not even one! And all my winter squash failed too  :'(

I am eating nothing from my allotment at all - waiting for the blue berries to ripen (really hope they do)
The blackcurrants are abundant but soooooooooooo bitter  :-X where they didn't get any sun to develop the sugars I am not even going to pick them for jam this year - in theory I am letting the birds have them but even the birds don't seem to want them!

I am eating lovely salads daily gathered from the raised bed outside my back door  ;)

xJane
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 13:43:45 by Crystalmoon »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1496 on: August 03, 2012, 10:43:28 »
Picked a few blackberries last night for my neighbour who loves them.  Why do blackberries always grow amongst the stinging nettles. Not so many this year as most of the plots have been taken, so my little hidden spots are not available for picking anymore. Got enough runner beans for two, and really pleased with my Calabrese broccoli, silly me waited for the first top to go purple as thought it was purple sprouting broccoli, but then it went to seed so I checked my seed packets and realised it was meant to be eaten green, so picked enough for two of us, and hopefully more will come.  Cabbages not too good, slugs seem to have eaten the heart, will certainly plant more calabrese next year, did net some plants but even the un-netted ones seem to be doing OK.  So excited.  ;D ;D ;D

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #1497 on: August 03, 2012, 21:21:09 »
Volunteer potatoes, dwarf beans, onions, courgette, broad beans, one or two left over peas, desert gooseberries. ;D ;D
The lettuces are good and the cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen indoors and out. Runners are just getting to picking stage and I have a squash about to take over the world so I think it'll be shears and a haircut tomorrow. A shake of woodash might make it more inclined to fruit than swamp the tomatoes and dahlias....
The potatoes from tps have blight but I cut it off as much as I can. Its really dry over here!! so with luck I may manage until the rain drops instead of passing sedately overhead...

Han

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #1498 on: August 03, 2012, 21:44:51 »
Today? took out quite a lot of rubarber from our huge plants, so this evening: rubarber!

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #1499 on: August 05, 2012, 16:05:02 »
Roast Epicure spuds, roast medley of veg carrots,courgette,onions,tomato,garlic and a heap of cobra french beans  :-* nearly forgot a nice chicken Kiev  :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 16:07:58 by Lottiman »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal