Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?  (Read 262169 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?
« Reply #860 on: January 31, 2011, 16:19:54 »
I just fetched Babington Leeks, chicory, rocket and cress from the greenhouse and rosemary, parsnips and lamb's lettuce from the garden. 

Had the flu and felt rotten for a couple of weeks, but tonight we will finally have a much delayed dinner with our friends.  We will have small individual salad plates with toasted granary bread and pate for starter, followed by roast chicken with carrots, potatoes, roast parsnips with beans from the freezer and garlic from the store, followed by meringue shells with ice cream and morello cherries (from the garden too, but in a kilner jar).  Was debating whether to make winter squash soup for starter, but we had so much squash when I didn't feel like going out into the garden and I am yearning after a bit of fresh green stuff.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #861 on: January 31, 2011, 16:46:07 »
Last of my Cara  :'(  roasted and parsnips with my lamb shank.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #862 on: January 31, 2011, 17:30:42 »
Parsnip soup with a bit of curry powder, thank you kind man, don't know your name that gave me one.  It was a bit difficult to cut up as so big. (Well thats sounds very rude).  ;D ;D  His dahlias are always brilliant and I got a big bunch of flowers one year.  Cornkev please don't eat my grand-daughter, that is her name, well she is half Irish so perhaps that is why she is named after a potato, but don't tell her.

The Veg Man

« Reply #863 on: February 01, 2011, 15:43:26 »
I just fetched Babington Leeks, chicory, rocket and cress from the greenhouse and rosemary, parsnips and lamb's lettuce from the garden. 

Had the flu and felt rotten for a couple of weeks, but tonight we will finally have a much delayed dinner with our friends.  We will have small individual salad plates with toasted granary bread and pate for starter, followed by roast chicken with carrots, potatoes, roast parsnips with beans from the freezer and garlic from the store, followed by meringue shells with ice cream and morello cherries (from the garden too, but in a kilner jar).  Was debating whether to make winter squash soup for starter, but we had so much squash when I didn't feel like going out into the garden and I am yearning after a bit of fresh green stuff.

:D

The Veg Man

« Reply #864 on: February 01, 2011, 15:46:13 »
Leeks and Winter cabbages picked this morning

pumkinlover

« Reply #865 on: February 01, 2011, 16:00:42 »

How did you bottle the morello cherries Galina? in syrup? It sounds delicious :D

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #866 on: February 01, 2011, 17:00:09 »
Carrots, and sprouts out of the garden with a nice sweetheart cabbage from Tesco (HA)
m j gravell

pumkinlover

« Reply #867 on: February 01, 2011, 20:53:23 »
Potato and Leek soup for lunch, then toast and blackcurrent jam, stewed plums from the freezer.
For tea roast pork from Farm shop, mashed pots, roast parsnips, carrots, sprouts and french beans from the freezer again.
A good day :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #868 on: February 02, 2011, 16:16:11 »
How did you bottle the morello cherries Galina? in syrup? It sounds delicious :D
I packed washed, recycled, sauce jars with pop-up lids with washed and stoned cherries.  Then made a 4 to 1 syrup, ie one mug of sugar, dissolved in 4 mugs of hot water.  Filled cherry jars with syrup to half an inch below rim, wiped rim, wiped cleaned lids and closed lids. 

Then placed jars in a waterbath, aka very large, deep saucepan, lined with folded kitchen towels so the jars don't crack.  Filled with cold water which should cover the jars.  Slowly brought the waterbath to the boil and let boil gently for 20 minutes.  After the boiling time, I fetched the jars out of the waterbath and let them cool on a wooden board.  All the pop lids popped down to indicate that I got a sterile vacuum seal and the cherries were preserved safely.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #869 on: February 02, 2011, 16:28:55 »
I have baby carrots that I nearly forgot about in a tub in my back garden with my beef stew that is bubbling away in the oven as I type.      ;D ;D ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #870 on: February 02, 2011, 16:48:23 »
Thanks Galina-not that the handful of cherries I got last year lasted that long, nor were they morello, but interesting to see how done.
Anne x

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #871 on: February 02, 2011, 17:08:50 »
I cleared some carrots out of a raised bed and made soup last night... but we haven't eaten it yet...  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #872 on: February 02, 2011, 17:24:26 »
Thanks Galina-not that the handful of cherries I got last year lasted that long, nor were they morello, but interesting to see how done.
Anne x

You are welcome  :)  You can do all fruit like that, but I use a 5:1 or a 6:1 syrup for sweeter fruits, for example pears.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #873 on: February 02, 2011, 17:30:06 »
only the potato cakes from spoiled spuds and onions, kept in the freezer for when I need comfort food  ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #874 on: February 05, 2011, 18:13:16 »
only the potato cakes from spoiled spuds and onions, kept in the freezer for when I need comfort food  ;D

Sounds very tasty, please can I come and help comfort you? :)

Found a patch of landcress that has just appeared from nowhere .  Transplanted some into the greenhouse and the rest for a salad tonight.  Nice lamb's lettuce too and rocket from the greenhouse.  Dug up some scorzonera roots and parsnips.  And some Minogue onions (flat leafed spring onions) too.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #875 on: February 05, 2011, 18:23:05 »
Pickled beetroot. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel now :(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #876 on: February 05, 2011, 22:15:46 »
courgette and tomato quiche from the freezer with haricot bean in our own tomato sauce  ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #877 on: February 07, 2011, 18:16:51 »
B...dy hell, Kev, you don't half eat well.  Undecided what to cook from windy Enfield.  Chick pea curry is quite windy.  ;D ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #878 on: February 07, 2011, 19:40:53 »
Nothing from the lottie, spareribs with fresh egg noodles and mushrooms, noodles two for a £1 in tescos (spit).   ;D ;D ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #879 on: February 07, 2011, 19:57:48 »
Pumpkin soup for lunch, then blackcurrents and banana smoothie.
Cold roast pork and chips - own Rooster potatoes, with own crab apple jelly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal