Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?  (Read 262168 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?
« Reply #640 on: September 08, 2010, 16:31:54 »
How do you make rocket mash

Take some 'rocket' variety of spuds, peel, boil, and mash them!
You couldn't make it up!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #641 on: September 08, 2010, 17:17:46 »
oooohhhh rocket mash sounds good....I love rocket :)

Oh silly me I thought Kev might have chopped up some rocket and added it to his mash. :-[
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #642 on: September 08, 2010, 18:11:21 »
Runner beans, a huge spud that weighed in just under a kilo, cooked in his jacket, with left over veg chilli full of courgette, knobbly squash (that is the latin name  ;D), toms, onions and garlic.  The only thing purchased was the mushrooms.

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #643 on: September 08, 2010, 22:51:00 »
i made a stew of baby sweetcorn, onions, leeks, carrots, runner beans and some non allotments stuff barley and quinoa.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #644 on: September 10, 2010, 18:19:56 »
Rhubarb Chard as part of a risotto - the stems chopped and cooked from the beginning, and some young leaves wilted at the end - this has been my first time growing this, I love it, it's just like what I think eating soil would be like!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #645 on: September 10, 2010, 19:13:59 »
Poor Kev has no dinner tonight, or hasn't posted, his dinners always sound very good.  Yellow corgettes tonight, again, again, but with steak and spinach and runner beans again.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #646 on: September 11, 2010, 09:10:41 »
Minted lamb chops with Kestrel chips.  :P
Sorry Duke, as Tone says it was just rocket spuds mashed with butter, but if you chop up the rocket and mix in with the mash, it might just work a treat, too peppery for me though.
It's spag bol tonight if Borlotti was wondering, :P  so only my onions will be used, or shall I have a bowl of communal Kestrel chips like my Mum used to do with it.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #647 on: September 11, 2010, 09:23:06 »
oooh this could start a thread on all the different things you can put into mash  ;D at the moment for us it is fennel cos we have a lot that hasn't bulbed up very well but crikey the list could be endless - as mentioned elsewhere our other favourite is beetroot, apple and mash or mash with herbs, fried onions, chopped cabbages or kale (getting into the bubble and squeak type recipes) and on and on  8)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #648 on: September 11, 2010, 19:46:35 »
I do love my bubble.     :P    ;D ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #649 on: September 12, 2010, 20:47:40 »
Cabbage, baby carrots and Kestrel mash with our legs of lamb.    :P   ;D ;D ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #650 on: September 12, 2010, 22:40:23 »
Kev, legs of lamb (plural), you are so lucky, I can only afford half a shoulder, and don't eat the mushrooms, we will miss you on here if you get the poisoness ones.  Think they grow from the Council compost and we have some, but don't want to kill myself yet.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #651 on: September 13, 2010, 18:20:22 »
Did a roast chicken (Tesco, sorry) with lovely Pentland Squire roasties, carrots and runner beans, but what really made the meal was the sage and onion stuffing.....set me thinking how lucky we gardeners are, I'd never have bothered buying sage, if I hadn't got a garden full it would have been a box of Paxo.....so what else do we eat that I wouldn't buy? Asparagus, raspberries, blackberries, chard, rocket, mangetout.....I don't grow my own primarily for financial reasons, but couldn't afford to eat so well without it.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #652 on: September 13, 2010, 20:27:57 »
I decided against eating the mushies Borlotti, but they grew in a bit of land in between my path and the fence next to the park, some of our lottie holders pick mushies on the other side of the fence and eat them, no compost was put on this bit of land.
I had my onions in spag bol tonight as we never had it the other night.  ;D ;D ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #653 on: September 13, 2010, 22:11:46 »
Had a go a hot cucumber soup today, a recipe from the internet, glad I only made enough for tonight.  :(

More cucumber under a press with some onions to make a cucumber pickle tomorrow.

Ninny

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #654 on: September 13, 2010, 22:20:09 »
Hot cucumber soup eh Ninnnnnnnysssssssssss sounds errrmmm interesting !! LOL
I had chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup made with sweetcorn from the lottie. For lunch I had pasta with greenhouse tomato tomato sauce with  allotment onions and garlic.
Duke :P
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #655 on: September 13, 2010, 22:37:21 »
Three cucumbers, de-seeded and roughly grated with chive and was supposed to be sauted until lightly brown in butter, we'll I gave up after half an hour of trying to get it to go brown. ::) Added a little flour and a pint and a half of milk. Yup, just tasted of cucumber and paprika................I suppost I shouldn't have expected anything else Duchess ;D

Ninny

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #656 on: September 14, 2010, 17:01:38 »
Well I've never heard of cucumber soup,  ???
Were having salmon parcels with my onion and celery given to me by our site sec.   ;D ;D ;D

gypsy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #657 on: September 14, 2010, 18:10:53 »
Courgettes, red onions and tomatoes, roasted and grated cheese added when cooked. Also steamed potatoes and runner beans (again). Yummy!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #658 on: September 14, 2010, 20:32:18 »
Well I've never heard of cucumber soup,  ???

Nor had I until I google it Kev......I was looking for something to do with all of the lemon and apple crystals I picked and refused to consign to the compost. The onion and cucumber pickle is looking quite good though.

Today, oven busters with the smallest Cara potatoes, Primo cabbage and probably the last of the Safari french beans.

Ninny

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #659 on: September 15, 2010, 19:06:52 »
Think we should start a new thread, what is Kev having for dinner tonight, always sounds good, can anyone come???   Pleased you didn't eat the mushrooms so you are still around. No dinner here yet tonight as waiting for granddaughter and OH to come back from the park, probably spag bog or whatever, and a few pears that fell on my head.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal