Author Topic: feel like packing it all in!!  (Read 4224 times)

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
feel like packing it all in!!
« on: August 02, 2009, 15:02:17 »
Well I've been down to my allotment today to find I've lost all my toms, and pots to blight.  this is the second year i have had an allotment.  The first year i had tons of produce even though the plot wasn't exactly perfect.  I had grand ideas this year but nothing has been successful

Last year I had beans beans and more beans, courgettes seem to grow as quickly too.  Pumpkin, toms, potatoes cabbages the lot the only thing that didn't do well was my caulis.

This year:
decent potatoes I suppose that's it...I feel defeated! cabages seem to be coming and fingers crossed for the other brassicas but my broccoli bolted beans won't grow carrots wont germinate.

The question is,  is this normal? do we have terrible years like this?  Is this a one off? Is it all really worth it? Oh and top it all off I've killed a hedgehog  :'(

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: feel like packing it all in!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 15:04:54 »
Poor hedgehog, how did it meet its demise?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 15:07:57 »
First off {{{HUG}}} :-*

I don't have an allotment but a large vege patch in my backgarden which did me exceptionally proud last year.

this year partly due to me really it has let me down in some respects and so this year's harvest will be a lot less in amts and variety.

to answer your question yes the plot does have bad years and good, like life actually so don't lose heart plan for next year and you'll see it will be better, don't beat yourself up too much.

i killed a hedgehog last week too :-\.

flowergirl

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 15:09:37 »
 i am not certain I would like to think it died of old age but i suspect it may have been from the not so nice slug pellets given to me as a gift from an experienced allotmenter  :-\

flowergirl

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 15:13:15 »

I don't have an allotment but a large vege patch in my backgarden which did me exceptionally proud last year.

this year partly due to me really it has let me down in some respects and so this year's harvest will be a lot less in amts and variety.

to answer your question yes the plot does have bad years and good, like life actually so don't lose heart plan for next year and you'll see it will be better, don't beat yourself up too much.

Thanks for that I really need a hug x

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 15:17:47 »
The first year is often good as the soil has been fallow... building up nutrients. We still have good years and bad and we've been at it 17 years on this site.  ::)
Keep smiling, there's still time for the beans to catch up...

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 15:29:09 »

Thanks for that I really need a hug x

glad to oblige :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 15:35:26 »
You have to have some bad times to appreciate the good times......Its my second year too and last year all my tomatoes got the dreaded blight! Just think how boring it would be if every year was perfect. This year my purple haze carrots bolted and sent up some flower heads  >:(~~ my redcurrant that I have been nuturing in a container awaiting my fruit cage has died  :( ~~and the clock in my shed fell off its nail and broke into many pieces!!  :( ~~my rocket also bolted  :(~~my white onion sets only produced four onions out of 20  :( Next year will be a better year  ;D
Keep at it !
Duke:)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 15:38:03 »
I can understand how you feel because I've been looking at some photos from 2005 and feel quite sad.  It must have been a lovely summer, everything did so well.  These photos were taken in the second week of August 05

This year my Sungold tomatoes are still green and have just got blight.
Runner beans have plenty of flowers but not many beans to pick.
Courgettes are slow.

All these were grown outside in 05, I couldn't keep up with the amount of tomatoes in 05, this year none of the outdoor ones are looking as if they will ripen.....

This aubergine was growing in the greenhouse but the one I have this year has had most of its leaves eaten by something and only just set one fruit.

So you are not alone, we all get good years and bad years.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 15:45:33 »
I`m not religous as such but didn`t Joseph talk of fat  years and lean years??

We all dream-and sometimes they come true so have a cyber hug and keep going

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 17:08:10 »
The only thing that has been better than last year for me is my onions and carrots (in bins),and I think that's down to the variety.
My sweetcorn is only a foot high,beans are turning into lace, courgettes are slow and brassicas got eaten.
I've had less time this year too and am seriously thinking about giving up the plot and growing at home next year.
I think you need to ask whether your plot brings you more pleasure than frustration and then decide whether you want to carry on.

flowergirl

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 17:58:18 »
i will not be defeated (this year) i plan for chickens next year so that gives me something to look forward to :)

now i have calmed down I  have had a thought....perhaps I need to think about varieties.  think I might go for bolt resistant broccoli, blight resistant potatoes...etc.  Ive been a bit head strong.  The old boys down on the allotment are always saying "you don't to use that...plant that...do that"..etc and i haven't listened. You see although I am new to allotment I've grown veg at home for ages.  SO perhaps I should take advice... has anyone got  good reccommendation for veg seeds?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 18:09:43 »
We lost all our tomatoes the last two years, at home and down the lottie even the ones in the greenhouse.but this year (touching every bit of wood available)we've already picked some even outdoors  :)The leeks are being ravaged again but last year some recovered enough to eat :)we can't grow onions because of the rot but we've got smashing red cabbage,the beans were slow to start but cropping now.Usually i accost strangers and force them to accept courgettes but this year they're only coming at a trickle ???
So don't give up Flowergirl 'cos I bet you'll put plenty on your plate eventually :)
p.s. i don't think it was the hedgehogs fault :P
sanity is overated

flowergirl

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 18:30:54 »
Well I spose I should be greatful i have a Morrisons.....poor joseph!!

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 18:36:50 »
I too have lost most of my toms and last night all my Maris piper that were doing really well had hardly got a leaf on and they were perfect on Thurs and I too had the same last year... Even bought blight resistant ones last year and they got it too so chin up and think and prepare for next year,,that's what I'm doing :D

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 18:39:49 »
SO perhaps I should take advice... has anyone got  good reccommendation for veg seeds?

Perhaps speaking to some of the people that have been on the site for a long time could be a good idea. They will know the varieties that suit the conditions.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 18:44:12 »
Flowergirl I have just reread your post. Are you saying you can't use your potatoes? Our second earlies were affected by blight & we were told to chop the haulms off & leave them for a couple of weeks & then we could store them after drying them. We could leave them in the soil but need the room for brassicas.

flowergirl

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 19:45:11 »
the tubers seem fine..i have cut the stalk and leaves away but not sure what to do next...planned to dig em up as and when but not sure if they will survive. As for speaking with the allotment chaps...well.....each one reccommends a different variety...they seem to be in competition with each other. one says don't listen to him he knows nowt!...its a struggle lol

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 20:07:21 »
Everything has it ups and downs. Last year I lost all my tomatoes to the dreaded blight but I seem to have survived this year.
Most of my potatoes did well not so well this year though and the same for the runner beans so far.
However my courgettes have been so prolific I even made courgette and ginger jam to try and use them up.
My peas would not germinate but I bought some replacement seeds and sowed them in gutters and they have done well.
And a mouse ate my strawberries !! So yes persevere no two seasons are the same luckily.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 20:14:00 »
Th good old blight affects most of us on the tommies Flowergirl, last year I lost 90% of my maris pipers to slugs and I was gutted. Strawberrys come to nothing this year and cucumbers just won't grow. The runners are really late this year but have just got going. Best of luck, you know you don't want to give it up.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal