Author Topic: summer squashes  (Read 1606 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
summer squashes
« on: October 08, 2004, 09:10:13 »
Can you recommend any easy to grow and tasty smallish summer squashes? (something about 6inches in diameter.)

There are so many in the seed catalogues my head is spinning!
gone to pot :D

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re:summer squashes
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 09:21:05 »
Hi Aquilegia  :D
                      My first year at growing anything, so not much experience ::) But maybe with beginners luck I have grown successfully Baby Bear pumpkins/squashes (is there much difference ???) From 3 plants i have had 20 fruits each about the size you are looking for , weighing about 750grammes (approx) each. They are now sitting in boxes in my garage & hopefully will store for some Months :D
                                cheers  Adrian.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 10:41:40 »
Just having another look through the organic gardening catalogue (where is my tuckers catalogue  ??? ??? ) as this full of squashie ideas, not tried any though.

Potimarron, an organic one, chestnut flavour which increases when stored. 1.5kg (3lb)... £2.22

Small Sugar - organic (1860) - pumpkin type, fruits 18cm (just over 6 inches) weighs 2-3kg £1.24

Zapallito del Tronco, acorn shaped dark green winter squash- fruit uo ti 16cm long (250g-1kg) - pick immature and eat as a cucumber, or store when fully grown. Bush. £1.70 (org.)

Uchiki Kuri - bright orange tear drop shaped. (Tuckers 2004 cat. says that it is early and highly productive, though has it under winter storage squash) £1.52 (org.)

Courgettes - the round ones are nice. Last year, Eight Ball, and this year, Tondo di Piacenza.

Patty pan type things are summer squashes.

Uchiki Kuri is on my almost definite order list. Small Sugar sounds quite close to what you want!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 22:35:07 »
I would go with the patty pan types if it were me Aqui, with limited space.  They can be bush types and the seem to be very prolific.  You can pick them and eat them when they are the size of marbles up to bigger than a tennis ball!  They are sweet, and bright - mine were absolutely day-glo yellow, and mine were disease and slug free!  Roasted in olive oil with some garlic and basil, delish!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal