Author Topic: Butternut squash - no fruits  (Read 11562 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Butternut squash - no fruits
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 12:09:54 »
Wished yer lived near me Lizann. You could have some of mine. Everyone on our site that I offer them to gives me that knowing look and I just skulk away. ;D

Time to resort to Courgette Surprise http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,53281.0.html

chrisc

amphibian

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 19:08:19 »
My butternuts are setting like quick set cement now, there was not a lot of fruit a fortnight ago. I always grow Waltham, it has shown the best results for me consistently delivering even in rubbish weather.

colman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 20:10:52 »
think i have about 12 squashes now growing nicely on 4 plants...I planted them in tyres filled with manure and they are going great guns now...

Also did cougettes the same and from 3 plants i have had nearly 40 courgettes, i am now getting sick of them though - have made up a nice batch of courgette and tom soup this avo to put in the freezer for winter lunches...

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 09:42:52 »
Still no progress or fruit!  Is there anything I can do or feed them with to be helping things along.  Loads of male flowers.  Possibly some female flowers now, but ALL flowers still tightly closed and not looking like there's been much growth at all.  I am so disappointed.  Maybe I didn't prepare the soil well enough.  Any suggestions from any of you squash experts?  I just love butternut squash soup and hate paying a fortune in the shops for the squash. 
Lizann :0)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 09:49:42 »
Ours are only just beginning to get fruit on whereas the other varieties of squash are doing well. If I remember last year ours didn't start to get going until late but we still had a good few
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
    • RSPB Shropshire Local Group - Southern branch
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 09:59:29 »
Even my courgettes aren't brilliant this year.  Two plants and only one decent courgette from each so far.  Wonder what I'm doing wrong.  I though courgettes were meant to be really easy to grow and I would have trouble keeping up with eating them, but not so.  Think I might try a different type than just the usual long green ones next year.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

Hi Lizann,

I've mentioned these before on another thread - Cavili from Thompson & Morgan are self-fertile so it doesn't seem to matter what the weather throws at them. Also they're very pale-skinned and creamy-fleshed so have a bit more going for them than the usual types. I haven't seen them on sale in any shops so you probably have to send up for them.

Good luck!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 10:07:45 »
I tried Butternut last year...........no fruit,not even one. :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 10:21:42 »
I lost the one I had but still live in hope...  :-[

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 10:38:42 »
Don't suppose anyone could send me a photo of what a baby squash looks like in case I've got them and I just don't know what they look like?  Sorry, I know I'm thick but not grown these before at all!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 11:12:11 »
mine only set its first fruit last week and i have said before i can't remember mine ever setting fruit before august, so hope fully I'll get at least another three off of it.

Don't suppose anyone could send me a photo of what a baby squash looks like in case I've got them and I just don't know what they look like?  Sorry, I know I'm thick but not grown these before at all!

this is the very embryonic stage before the flower develops properly to opens i took this pic 23/07/09.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wNGXTrtW5rc/Smgw4YBNxuI/AAAAAAAABks/xiMWlLC0R4w/s1600-h/IMG_4834.JPG

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 11:18:20 »
Thanks so much!  I think I MAY have one of those ... five plants, one female.  There are perhaps others close to the plant that might come, but millions of male flowers, none opening yet.  There may still be hope.  Should I give it some tomato feed, do you think?

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 11:43:23 »
i don't feed mine as i bunged some goodness into the planting hole at transplanting time but a little feed won't hurt and if it dry for prolonged periods give them a good drink.

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 12:06:02 »
Thanks, Thifasmom.  If the other four don't start producing soon then I'm going to dig them up and throw in the compost bin to free up space for something that is going produce something edible.  I'm really disappointed.  Maybe I'm being premature, will give them another couple of weeks, perhaps, because after that it might take too long for them to mature anyway??

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18:31 »
i see you're up Scotland so your season is much shorter than mine in Kent. I'm normally able to not worry about them too much as they are normally safe certainly till the end of September.

then if frosts are forecasted i have a tendency to wrap the maturing fruits in 2 or 3 sheets of newspaper each night till the plant itself succumbs to the colder days and nights, then i remove the fruits.

as you said you could leave them a couple more weeks to see if any fruit sets, then after that remove any fruit that might want to set therefore giving the already set fruits greater chance to mature quickly. if the plants aren't too large maybe you could fleece the whole lot.

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 16:07:51 »
Well, still five butternut squash plants and only one with 3 little squash ... is it time to dig the other four up and compost them?  Wonder what has gone wrong?  I was so looking forward to loads of butternut squash.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 19:38:13 »
Lizann, I grow a variety of squash in Glasgow and it has been tough during August because we have had rain almost every day, and more forecast.
Butternuts are particularly difficult in Glasgow because of the cooler temps, but I have succeeded this year by keeping them under a large Lidl cloche, open at the ends for pollination by bees. They only started setting fruit about the middle of August, but today there are now 4 fruits which should ripen by the end of September.
My method for growing butternuts is set out here http://www.growyourown.info/page147.html
Remember for next year that Winter Squash are just as sweet as butternuts, but are much easier to grow in Glasgow.
See http://www.growyourown.info/page127.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 19:48:14 »
Squash is very popular here in Ontario, Canada, both summer and winter squash, the favourite winter squash in our house is Butternut or Hubbard used as a vegetable, or often used to make Pumpkin pie. A great Canadian favourite. both replace Pumpkin well.
 how do you prepare your squash???? qahtan

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 20:19:58 »
I'm on the east coast and my first butternut flowers opened two weeks ago; I've yet to establish if the fruit have been polinated. On the other hand, each of my Blue Kuri, Uchiki Kuri & Sweet Dumpling have three to five fruits per plant which are swelling nicely. 

Suzie Q

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 19:32:25 »
My butternuts are a tale of two halves - I have two half plots on different site (a long story) about 8 miles apart, at both I planted the same plants out at the same time.

Three went in prepared ground - bucket full of manure, heaped up with a little dip - just like the book said, the remaining two went in on the other plot on the old manure stack.  Just covered it with black mulch and cut a slit in - not even any soil was added.

The ones planted like the books are tiny, they really haven't got away at all, the leaves are very small and although they have started to fruit it is as if the plant is a bonsai.... the others well, between the two plants I have 15 butter nuts and more if I don't keep having to trim them back.  I knocked one of them off the other day when trying to release it from a stuck up paving slab weighed in at a massive 6lbs!

Next year they are all going on the remants of the manure heap and to hell with the preparation. :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal