Author Topic: Where to site my greenhouse...  (Read 3175 times)

shonam

• Quarter Acre
Where to site my greenhouse...
« on: July 30, 2009, 18:45:05 »
Just looking for advice as to where would be the best place to site a greenhouse I'm planning to buy soon. My garden is south facing with just your bog-standard 6ft slatted fencing the whole way round and I'm unsure whether to put it in the south east corner or south west. I'm guessing south-east as that gets the sun for most of the day but would be good for those in the know to keep me right.

I'm trying to work out some kind of plan for a new vegetable garden and once I know where to put the greenhouse (and the space for maintenance round it) then I can start working out the rest.

Thanks for looking
Shona :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Where to site my greenhouse...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 23:07:58 »
either corner will do, you'll end up shading the greenhouse for most of the summer anyway! depending on your personal size, a couple of feet should be plenty of space around the greenhouse for maintenance issues.make sure you get an automatic opening device (autovent or similar) and don't be shy with the photo's (we're a nosy bunch on here)
welcome to a4a.
You couldn't make it up!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 15:31:44 »
As Tony says any corner! all I would add is; do not put it where it will shade you veg patch they like the sun as well, and again as Tony said; you will probably be putting some sort of shade on the greenhouse in any case!

So give the veg patch first choice of the sunshine!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 20:19:37 »
I think the most important thing to consider when siting a greenhouse is the position of the door, it needs to face away from the prevailing wind in your garden. The door is the weakest part of the house and should the wind manage to get in it can blow all the glass out. I have seen this happen to one of mine when we had the gales some years ago,
Laurie

Just looking for advice as to where would be the best place to site a greenhouse I'm planning to buy soon. My garden is south facing with just your bog-standard 6ft slatted fencing the whole way round and I'm unsure whether to put it in the south east corner or south west. I'm guessing south-east as that gets the sun for most of the day but would be good for those in the know to keep me right.

I'm trying to work out some kind of plan for a new vegetable garden and once I know where to put the greenhouse (and the space for maintenance round it) then I can start working out the rest.

Thanks for looking

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 21:39:25 »
Thanks for the advice - south east it is then. :) That's good advice about the door too Laurie - will have the door facing the house as the wind tends to blow across the width of the garden.

Am getting very excited about it all now.  Will post some pictures when I get it all sorted.

Thanks again

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal