Author Topic: One out, all out!!  (Read 6000 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
One out, all out!!
« on: October 07, 2004, 12:04:58 »
That's the cry, isn't it?  

This is the saddest day of the calendar. Apart from those folk who have lost eveything through blight etc. The day that we have to clear out the greenhouse (except for the toms) because, even though the peppers still have a dozen babies on each, & many flowers, we know that the mould will get the lot if they are left.  Same with the aubs. And you've seen the cu that we missed?

So - that's it then? = Tim

« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 15:23:33 by tim »

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:One out, all out!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 12:18:09 »
Me too Tim, except I think it'll be the toms as wells (especially the sungold that has run rampant). The space is now needed for other things. Braising Mix, lettuce, over wintering plants &c.

Jeremy

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 12:18:14 »
At least you got something off your peppers. Snails made a meal of all my plants before the plants had a chance to feed me.  :'( sulk!
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 12:18:38 »
I know how you feel Tim, always makes me feeel sad! My chillies are going to move to the conservatory, peppers are struggling so they really need to go, and you know what happened to my tomatoes! I am always loathed to hoick them all out and hang on to the last moment, though the greenhouse needs cleaning, and bubble wrap needs to go up very soon. :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 12:25:42 »
Tim

Some one has probally asked you before, but why do you use wood shaving in the greenhouse. I would have though this might cause problems with it being very damp and might encourage fungal problems???

Thanks

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 12:34:44 »
Sympathies indeed! We did the big clear last weekend. I was a wimp and let my OH remove the waning darlings that have fed us all summer - couldn't bear it!

Now the greenhouse is clean, cleared, and the added bonus is that OH totally blitzed the workshop/potting shed as well, so I now have a tidy environment.

AND I'm going to wait before doing seed trays until we get shelving that I can sweep under!

Put the Kleenex away. The cycle goes on!
CLx

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 15:33:03 »
Jerry - because, when we dug down 12" to get headroom, we were into yellow clay. Any spills or leakage from bags made it a slush-pit.

So - shavings. Good reflection; normally dry, but great if you want to damp down in the really hot weather; localises any leakage; cleaned out each year & all sterilised; difficult for slugs to negotiate; no added fungal penalty that I have seen. = Tim

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 15:38:22 »
i did mine 2 days ago. there were still some ripening on the plant but they kept splitting, so i thought i'd take them off-the greenhouse looks bare now! also harvested some peppers, better than last year, and i've plenty of chillis, which i'm really pleased with, they've coloured up this year.
out of the greenhouse i opened a bag of my 'grown in a bag' potatoes- again, pleased, better than last year, some rather decent sizes-desiree-great pink skin, too.
i've not yet got round to jeyes fluid and the hose, as i've been in bed for 2 days with a nasty cold :'(.
the heater is working now the fuse has been replaced and i'm enjoying the benefits of the electricity and socket in there, all that crawling around the floor (with the resident toad) has paid off, the wires etc are neatly in their place. so my cats will be warm this winter, as they have taken up daytime residence there.
so i guess it's onto plans for next year!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 15:42:58 »
Thanks for the reminder - we have 2 young toads in there - as every year - & they must be caught before the cleansing. = Tim

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 17:05:28 »
Once cleaned out, I turn the greenhouse (12x12 made from polycarb.)into a rest-room cum sanctuary cum drinking den (neighbours mostly) The floorboards go back and the beerbarrel  and plastic bottles (home brew) go in the adjoining potting shed . Armchairs in the corners , and a pot barrel wood burner in the middle.Can't beat it.Toast. Hot chestnuts.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 17:25:00 »
Great idea! = Tim

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 18:24:27 »
Been a gorgeous day here in North Wales.  So I bit the bullet and have cleaned out the greenhouse.  Quite squirt with water to get rid of any snails lurking and then in with the Jeyes fluid.  B****r... >:( have ran out.. So headed to local B+Q, none in.  Try Focus I thought... nope no luck.. tried 3 local garden centres.... getting a bit panicky now... can do without my autumn fix of sniffing the lovely Jeyes..  ;)  So I gave up and went to do a bit of a shop at Tescos.   Lovely place and there in the disinfectants is... yep my Jeyes.  So greenhouse is spanking clean.  Now for the bubble wrap.. Bottom......... need some more of that too.  Tried B+Q  nope, tried Focus, all gone :o >:(  Think it is going to be one of 'those' days.

Just thought maybe this should have gone in the' Jeyes fluid thread'.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 18:49:52 by Mimi »
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 18:28:05 »
Think we have some Jeyes! If you get desperate.....you know where to come!
However, I don't have any bubble wrap. Got some fleece and things though somewhere...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 19:04:50 by Multiveg »
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 18:51:55 »
mimi- if you need bubble wrap- i got mine from viking direct (office supplier). came in a huuuuuge roll and far cheaper than the local extortionate garden centre prices.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 19:08:17 »
Thanks for that Kerry. :-*   Will do a google and get details.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 17:09:51 »
just for a note bubble wrap at
www.thepackagingstore.co.uk seems to have some good prices maybe worth checking out

carl
another member of i forgot my password

graham

• Quarter Acre
    • Blipfoto
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2004, 18:29:34 »
Carl

Thanks for the link - I've just put in an order.  Soon to be snug as the proverbial!

Thanks

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 12:00:27 »
Cleared out our lottie greenhouse yesterday and picked all of these.  Green tomato chutney do you think?  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 12:05:06 »
And. again (!!) - lots of  fried green in oatmeal etc. = Tim

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 18:48:39 »
Oh for goodness sake!!-daddy Stephan here-that space can be used for hardy salads,parsley for a snatch crop before it seeds,loads of things ;D

now write out 100 times-I can grow something all around the year.

Stephan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal