Author Topic: Too much to carry home  (Read 1889 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Too much to carry home
« on: August 04, 2009, 21:36:16 »
Just went to the allotment tonight, for a quick look.  Allotment withdrawal symptons.  Picked loads of runner beans, courgettes, and then had a look at my lovely Bramley apple tree, that was OK yesterday and saw that most of the apples had been eaten, so picked a few of the bigger ones, which turned out to be a lot.  Then thought I have no transport, not wanting to leave all this lovely produce, I put it in my Lidl wheelbarrow and pushed it home, also some blackberries etc. etc.  Luckily I met no-one I knew on the way home, felt like a bag lady.  Have distributed blackberries next door and beans and courgettes next door but one, no returns yet.  The person I gave beans too has given me cabbages and I am still surrounded by rhubard, also the 5 or 6 pumpkins that Manuel told me to pick, as they were not on the main stem or whatever. Better cook the apples that have whatever in them, for apple pie/sauce.  Looks like wasps or bees to me, but they seemed fine yesterday.  I now have plenty of cooking apples, I know I should have left them on the tree, but not to good if they are all going to get eaten by insects or whatever.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Too much to carry home
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 21:45:18 »
Sounds like codling moth on your apples... moth lays eggs at blossom time, you see the damage when the grub gets to the surface...

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 21:48:28 »
Does it make great holes in the apple, will look it up on the internet.  Did find that when I cut one apple up it had something in the middle that I had to cut out, apart from that they looked fine and I had so many.  :'( :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 21:50:32 »
Most of the apple is still fine to use. The pink caterpillars are the codling moth. If the holes are large suspect birds pecking to get the grubs or woodlice following up the damage..  :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 21:54:02 »
Thanks, a bit depressing when the tree looked fine yesterday and today something has eaten a lot of the apples.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 16:22:43 »
I'd love to have been driving past as you were pushing your wheelbarrow up southbury road.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 19:44:57 »
Someone at the allotment today said it might have been the green paraquets that ate my apples, but must admit haven't seen them this year.  Anyhow I got my apples home, and at least it was a wheelbarrow and not a shopping trolley full of my wordly possessions.  Must admit I kept my head down and walked very quickly.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 20:00:25 »
Borlotti you will have to change your avatar to a  bag lady ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Borlotti

• Hectare