Author Topic: A bit of advice  (Read 1617 times)

ACE

• Hectare
A bit of advice
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:56:03 »
Do not ever, even in your wildest dreams, think that Freckles clematis and Pauls Himalayan Musk Rose will be the ideal mix for a quick cover up of some bare trellis!

Even though I always tell my clients that a quick fix never really works I should have taken my own advice. After being away for a couple of months, the garden is a jungle, but the worse bit is the aforementioned trellis. It needs a gang of machete wielding jungle dwellers or napalm to get anywere near it.

Himalayan musk is a fantastic scented rose, very thorny and if looked at regulary will not run riot, but like Panda sex, if you are looking, it behaves, turn your back and its away. Freckles is a good clematis for flowering when nothing else is flowering but when it is not flowering it is growing at a couple of metres a day and winding around every other plant within reach, so not the ideal choice for this area.

I have just stopped working on  the trellis from hell while I don some stouter clothing, teeshirt sandals and shorts are not ideal, They have been ripped to shreds and I look like Robinson Crusoe.

Oh well back I go, send out a search party if I do not return.

betula

• Hectare
Re: A bit of advice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:04:14 »
 ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:43:59 »
I like it when the experts make mistakes just like us novices ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 23:12:17 »
yes but you actually made me think - hmm himalayan musk rose sounds nice!

you just can't tell some people! ::)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:22:39 »
Don't waste your money buying one. Find somebody who has one, cut an 18" leader of semi ripe, cut the bottom with a very sharp knife just under a node. Shove it in the ground where you want it to grow. This time next year you will be in the same boat as me.

It does not need a rootstock as it is a rambler.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:27:18 »
I of planted clematis freckles near the hideous car port we inherited when we moved in years ago. It is now completely covered....thank goodness! We get a lot of birds nesting underneath it, the foliage has completely coved the structure. It is so big now I'm hoping it will bring the whole lot down. I just hack it back a bit when it droops down too far.... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 15:13:13 »
It sounds as though Paul's Himalayan Must Rose would be one to grow through a large tree, not up a little trellis! I hope it doesn't grow as big as 'Kiftsgate'!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal